Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hmarief

Oklahoma adoption credit

The q & A for the Turbo Tax's OK income tax says I can claim up to $20,00 in adoption expenses, but will need to attach a schedule detailing expenses. I am not being given an opportunity to attach a schedule.  Also, I find on the OK instructions that only $10,000 is eligible.  Pasted below.  So is that per person and I am married filing jointly so we can claim up to $20,000?  I can't find this stated ($20,00)  anywhere but have trusted TT for years so don't know if they are just wrong on this.  

Qualified Adoption Expense
An Oklahoma resident may deduct “Nonrecurring
adoption expenses” not to exceed $10,000 per calendar
year (O.S. Title 68, Section 2358). Expenses are to be
deducted in the year incurred. “Nonrecurring adoption
expenses” means adoption fees, court costs, medical
expenses, attorney fees and expenses which are directly
related to the legal process of adoption of a child.
Enclose a schedule describing the expenses claimed..

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Oklahoma adoption credit

Oklahoma instructions for 2019, page 17, at the top say:  

An Oklahoma resident may deduct “nonrecurring adoption expenses” not to exceed $20,000 per calendar year. Expenses are to be deducted in the year incurred. “Nonrecurring adoption expenses” means adoption fees, court costs, medical expenses, attorney fees and expenses which are directly related to the legal process of adoption of a child. Provide a schedule describing the expenses claimed. 

You must mail in the statement.  There are a two ways this could play out and I am sorry I do not know which one. Here is what can happen:

• The program may file your forms electronically and tell you to mail in the statement.
  • The program may tell you that you have to mail in your state return.

I believe this first case is reality. In either case, the program will tell you what to mail and where.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
hmarief

Oklahoma adoption credit

Thank you for your answer in clarifying the allowable deduction.  However, I am now at the point of signing and submitting my electronic return and nothing has been said about the form detailing adoption expenses that should be attached.  I am worried about submitting my return without that, that will cause a red flag and a problem.  I don't know what to do.  Does TT submit both federal and state at the same time? 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Oklahoma adoption credit

Some states do require federal attachments and Turbo Tax will submit them. If you need to mail something, the program will tell you after you e-file. Turbo Tax actually works with the state departments to ensure we are doing our best.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies