Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

New Exclusion of up to $10,200 of Unemployment Compensation

I guess you're learning what TT really thinks of their customers. I suggest you read some of the forum. 

I guess you're another new user that doesn't follow the forum. 

TT announced on Thursday, last week... yes, that's right. That they'd update.

Then they announced Friday.

You know, it's Thursday a week... and still no update. 

I'm DONE with TT. They don't care about the people and not to care during a pandemic when people need the money for food, rent, bills, it's unacceptable. 

I'm still waiting as I already have about 20+ taxes done for friends, neighbors, relatives, for nothing or $20.

How much did TT charge me for Home and Business? Over $129

So, i'm done with TT. 

Except of course this year. I already have all these taxes done for others just waiting on an update. 

Their other versions, the cloud versions that they make 100% on since they don't need resellers, have the update. 

Their other competitors have the $10,200 fix. 

But, no, TT doesn't and there is a reason. Greed. Pushing us to go to the cloud. 

Well, I'm not going to the cloud, i'm going to H&R that had the update a day after the IRS released it! 

EA12
Level 3

Hey @NeuroPsyche 

actually I have been on here from the start.

I was simply asking if any other users received any updates today.

You are not the only one frustrated by this experience and incredulous about TT’s lack of communication.

That said,

this is an open forum and people will join in and ask questions that have already been discussed.

Cut them some slack. Everyone is frustrated!

OMG hahaha Sir did you just post on this world wide forum that you have violated your license agreement???

20+ Times and that you charged people money??????  And your calling Intuit greedy????  I suspect you will be hearing from thier legal team  ....lol wow.  You have cost them 20+ sales....

https://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/license/desktop.jsp

2.2 You acknowledge and agree that the Software is licensed, not sold. You agree not to use, nor permit any third party to use, the Software in a manner that violates any applicable law, regulation or this Agreement. You agree you will not:

• Provide access to or give the Software or any part of the Software to any third party;
    • Reproduce, duplicate, modify, copy, sell, trade, lease, rent or resell the Software;
    • Transfer your license to the Software to any other party
    • Attempt unauthorized access to any other Intuit systems that are not part of the Software;
    • Permit any third party to benefit from the use or functionality of the Software via a rental, lease, timesharing, service bureau, hosting service, or other arrangement;
    • Decompile, disassemble, or reverse engineer the Software.
    • Make the Software available on any file-sharing or application hosting service

Since we are talking about Software Licenses. I did a little research and found the following that directly relates to the desktop vs online choice.

Intuit covers thier butt pretty well on the personal data side.  Both online and offline license agreements say

"You can view Intuit’s Privacy Statement provided with the Services and on the website for the Services. You agree to the applicable Intuit Privacy Statement and any changes published by Intuit. You agree that Intuit may use and maintain your data according to the Intuit Privacy Statement, as part of the Services. This means that Intuit may use your data to improve the Services or to design promotions and to develop new products or services. "

"

So they can do anything they want with your data, even sell it as a new service,  and if you complain they can change thier policy retroactively.  This is a blank check.

But here is a difference, the online version adds this sentence.

"Intuit is a global company and may access or store personal information in multiple countries, including countries outside of your own country to the extent permitted by applicable law."

OK, so the online version data can be stored in Moscow, China or a sinkhole in Kanduhar.  This is fatal in my book.  My SS# in the hands of well intentioned foriegners is a bad idea.  "Whoops... Data Breech on to my USB drive comrade", and you cant do nothing about it because the license agreement says.,.

"YOU AND INTUIT AGREE THAT, EXCEPT AS PROVIDED BELOW, ANY DISPUTE, CLAIM OR CONTROVERSY ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING IN ANY WAY TO THE SERVICES OR THIS AGREEMENT (A “CLAIM”) WILL BE DETERMINED BY BINDING ARBITRATION OR SMALL CLAIMS COURT, INSTEAD OF IN COURTS OF GENERAL JURISDICTION."

So forget any law suits.

Finally

So now we ask, yeah but doesnt Intuit keep the desktop data too?  I found this -

Find your tax data file (.tax file) in Windows

........A .tax file can only be opened in the TurboTax CD/Download software. Because it's stored locally on your computer, we can't retrieve tax data files prepared in the TurboTax CD/Download software. E-filing doesn't keep a copy of your return on our servers.

Conclusion, if you want to keep your privacy, stay with desktop.  A friend of mine goes further by not filling in the name or social security number on the desktop forms.  He prints them, then fills in the personal info with a pen.  Signs and mails to the IRS as required by law.  Let those b*stards scan the return manually.  Why send them an electronic file so The IRS can run the IRS crosscheck software on it all year long while your laying awake nights wondering if you missed something.

I already filed my taxes so now what do i do 

Same here. People appear to be saying TT is too lazy and slow to update their software/forms to allow people to amend the return, in order to get back the unemployment tax they paid, so the question is: how to expedite this? Is there a way to manually file some form with IRS, or another way, without being forced to wait for TT to allow people to get their money back?

Like others said - during pandemic, most people need that money sooner rather than later.

Update just landed for me at 1:07am CDT for Mac desktop Home & Business, updated to v2020.r23.046. Now incorporating the $10,200 unemployment exemption on Schedule 1, Form 1040. Enjoy!

It's March 26th @6:30 am and I just discovered TT finally updated it's unemployment exclusion of $10,200.

Now it works great!!   What took you so long TT??

But still waiting on NYS to decide what they are doing about the unemployment income exclusion. 

C'mon guys. Wake Up!!

March 26th (Friday) @ 6:30 am, TT just updated their Unemployment Compensation exclusion issue. Now it works great!! About time!!!

Is this the online version or the desktop download CD version? Which edition are you seeing the corrected $10,200 exemption in?

Still no info on the NYS Tax Dept. Website (7:45 AM on 3/26).

What's  interesting for NY is the number that flowed to the NY State return for the AGI is without the unemployment exclusion. I don't even see a place that asks about it.  My gut, as I have said earlier, is that NY will not follow the Fed and that is the AGI that will be used.  But, until they say something, we have no idea.

JJW662
Returning Member

I see the unemployment exclusion reflected on the federal return in turbo tax. The NYS return has not changed. Does the exclusion carryover to NYS?

Following on NYS as I reside outside NY but work in NYC so I submit an IT-203 (non resident).  I use my one state from TT for where I live and always did NYS by hand.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies