Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My tax return requires IRS form 8990. TurboTax does not support or allow addition of that form. Why can't you create this form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

My tax return requires IRS form 8990. TurboTax does not support or allow addition of that form. Why can't you create this form?

I suspect it's an issue of Supply and Demand, as very few TT personal tax return customers would need it.   A taxpayer is not required to file Form 8990 if it is a small business taxpayer and does not have excess business interest expense from a partnership.  A taxpayer is also not required to file Form 8990 if it only has interest expense from certain excepted trades or businesses.

Form 8990 is available in TT Business (S Corp, C Corp, Partnership, Estates/Trust).  What form of business do you have?

Attention Turbotax Support!

I have the same issue. Judging by all the off-base answers I've found searching TT support, so do may other frustrated users.

I'm an individual investor with MLPs and receive K-1s. This year, code 20AE requires filing form 8990. This is an investment, not a business. If I wanted to print out the form and mail my tax returns, I wouldn't have purchased TT to handle it for me.

You need to ADD this form for Premier users, or be truthful and disclose up front that you DO NOT fully support MLP K-1 reporting for individual investors.

This is not just related to MLP investments. It also arises for partners in real estate partnerships.

PaulD CPA
Employee Tax Expert

Are there any personal (individual) tax situations or calculations that TurboTax doesn't handle?

Here's a related post: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/form-8990-for-dummies/00/2372121

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies