turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My hard drive failed. All previous years' tax files are lost. If I manually input my 2018 information from my printed copy, will it transfer into TT 2019? Suggestions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

My hard drive failed. All previous years' tax files are lost. If I manually input my 2018 information from my printed copy, will it transfer into TT 2019? Suggestions?

You can't enter the information from your printed tax return directly on the tax return forms in TurboTax. You would have to go through the process of recreating your 2018 tax return, either by using the Step-by-Step interview, or by entering information in forms mode on the appropriate worksheets and supporting forms, so that it flows to the tax return forms.

But it's not worth the effort to try to recreate your 2018 tax return. Just start your 2019 tax return without transferring from 2018. You'll enter your personal information directly into the 2019 return. Doing that is no more work than entering it in a recreated 2018 return. If TurboTax for 2019 needs information from your 2018 return it will ask for it, and you can enter it from your printed copy of the 2018 return.

Carl
Level 15

Assuming you have already re-installed TurboTax 2018 on  your new computer, and further assuming you have a printout of *everything* for the 2018 return, this should not be a problem. By "everything" I don't mean just the forms required for filing, or just the forms to keep for your records. I mean absolutely everything. That's all worksheets and calculation forms. This is particularly important if you filed SCH C, SCH E or SCH F with your 2018 tax return. Getting all that carry over data spot on perfect is not an option - it's a must. One teeny tiny mistake will grow exponentially as the years past. Then when you catch it years down the road the cost of fixing it will be expensive.

- Carl

*There's no such thing as to many backups*

I have most but not all worksheets. In that case I may just wait and input 2018 info as needed in the 2019.  (My files evidently were not added to my auto backups. Thought they were.)

I have the same problem with the additional issue of foreign tax carryovers partnership carry overs and Schedule D loss carryovers. I have the 1040 and other forms but not the worksheets so the Schedule D question is easy. Not sure how to handle the foreign tax carryovers and partnership matters since both have been accumulating for a number of years.  Yes, I wish I had saved more than the two copies which both failed but that doesn't help much when doing one's current year return.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You can order a copy of your tax return from the IRS as follows:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/what-taxpayers-should-know-about-tax-return-copies-and-transcripts

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for this info. Unfortunately unable to access via IRS site. Must be done online now, their site doesn't recognize my phone. Oddly enough, never has happened with any other site needing to send a code. Again thanks for the info and hope the info can be gathered prior to 7/15 filing deadline.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies