Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MRSK21

Moving from NY to TX

Hi there, 

I moved from New York to Texas in February of 2021 and I am still employed by the company I worked for in NY as a remote employee. I am still paying NY state income tax although I am no longer a NY resident and only lived there for 1 month out of the 2021 tax year. Is it required in this situation to continue paying NY state income tax when I am actually a resident of Texas where state income tax is not withheld? Or in this scenario am I eligible to opt out of NY state income taxes as a non-resident of NY state?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Nick-K-EA
Expert Alumni

Moving from NY to TX

Mariana, unfortunately you have moved away from the state which stands alone in its aggressive approach to collecting taxes from telecommuters. Specifically, if you worked in New York, then moved elsewhere and continued to work remotely for the same company, they presume that you will still be taxed as a New York resident, and place upon you the burden of justifying otherwise. Specifically, a telecommuter is considered to be working "in state" and subject to New York taxes unless they prove that they have established a bona fide employer office at their new location. The criteria for that are outlined in a memorandum issued by the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance, in 2006.

In other states, a worker who leaves the state and telecommutes becomes subject to the tax laws of the new state of residence. New Hampshire, another state with no income tax, has filed a lawsuit against New York to resolve this issue. Similar litigation is being pursued by New Jersey, Connecticut, Hawaii, and Iowa. But until that issue is resolved, unless you can meet New York's stringent standards for a bona fide employer office, you must continue to pay New York taxes.

Nick K, EA
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies