Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Married Filing Jointly vs Separately while living in different states

My wife just got a job in Wisconsin that starts Feb 2023. She will be working and living there full time, while I remain in NC with my (stipend) grad school program.

1. What are the major pros/cons for us to filing jointly or separately when it comes time for 2023 taxes?
    1. If this effects the answer, her yearly salary (before tax) will be just over twice what mine is
  2. If we file jointly, will WI try to tax my NC income, and vice versa?
  3. Are we eligible to file jointly if her income and residency will be fully WI and my residency and income will be fully NC?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DavidT0202
Expert Alumni

Married Filing Jointly vs Separately while living in different states

Hi @Taylor Abele 

Let me break down your questions: 

1. What are the major pros/cons for us to filing jointly or separately when it comes time for 2023 taxes?
    1. If this effects the answer, her yearly salary (before tax) will be just over twice what mine is

Filing a joint Federal return will get you the best tax breaks.  In your situation, you will also need to file a NC and WI return but can do so as Married filing Separate according to those state laws. (This does vary from state to state, so always make sure to check the laws in your state).  I did check WI and NC and both allow this. 

2. If we file jointly, will WI try to tax my NC income, and vice versa?

You will file separate return in each state only claiming the income made in that state.   In order to do this and still file Jointly on Federal, you will need the Desktop version of TurboTax.  You will first create a Joint Federal return and save it (This one will be efiled).  Then you will have to create 2 federal returns as MFS (These will not be efiled)  and only file the States from that return.  Our Tax experts are always available to help with this. 
  3. Are we eligible to file jointly if her income and residency will be fully WI and my residency and income will be fully NC?

On the Federal return yes, as for the state returns, it will be better to separate them. 

Thank you for Choosing TurboTax!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies