Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LLC filing with no revenue

I formed a LLC in 2023 with some expenses and no revenue. It is a joint LLC with my wife. I had a W2 in 2023.

I normally file joint taxes with my wife.

How do I file taxes for LLC and my joint personal tax with my wife? I'd like to use Turbotax

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

Please clarify if you created a LLC partnership with your wife or did you and your spouse form a single member LLC as a married couple?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@SharonD007 I believe it was a multi-member LLC with my wife.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

If you formed a multi-member LLC, you will need to file Form 1065 which requires TurboTax Business

Minus the LLC, you may be able to elect Qualified Joint Venture status, which TurboTax Premium or Home and Business can handle.  Only businesses that are owned and operated by spouses as co-owners (and not in the name of a state law entity) qualify for the election. See Rev. Proc. 2002-69, 2002-2 C.B. 831, for special rules applicable to married couple state law entities in community property states.

@SharonD007 LLC had some losses due to no revenue and business expenses. After we file Form 1065, what can I do with those losses, can they be used to offset our 1040 joint tax return?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You will be able to pass the losses to your personal tax return, but if it is a passive loss, you are not allowed to deduct this loss from your other income.  They are suspended to be used when you have a passive profit or when you sell.  You cannot use the loss in the future if you do not report it this year.   When you prepare a Form 1065, it will generate K-1 forms for both of you to enter on your personal return.  

The United States tax code allows certain types of entities to utilize pass-through taxation.  This effectively shifts the income tax liability from the entity earning the income (your LLC) to those who have a beneficial interest in it.  The Schedule K-1 is the form that reports the amounts that are passed through to each party that has an interest in the entity.  These businesses are often referred to as pass-through entities.  

IRS Topic 425.  Generally, passive activity losses that exceed the passive activity income are disallowed for the current year. You can carry forward disallowed passive losses to the next taxable year. A similar rule applies to credits from passive activities.

Ordinary business income (loss) reported in Box 1 of the K-1 is entered as either Non-Passive Income/Loss or as Passive Income/Loss. The determining factor in whether the income should be reported as Passive or Non-Passive depends on whether the taxpayer materially participated in the business activities.  See: Publication 925 - Passive Activity and At-Risk Rules.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies