Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Just because she received 1095-A premium tax credit - she must file tax return?

Asking for a senior citizen woman who is US citizen and got advanced premium tax credit and form 1095-A .
She received about $815 am month for 4 months in state of NJ ...
But her total income is way less than income threshold for return filing requirement.( I think less than 3000$)
I think I read somewhere that even though her income is very less ..she still need to file tax return if she got this premium tax credit..is that true ..she must file tax return ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, yes.

Filing a federal tax return to claim and reconcile the Credit

If you or someone in your family received advance payments of the premium tax credit through the Health Insurance Marketplace, you must complete Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit.  You will receive Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement, which provides you with information about your health care coverage.  Use the information from Form 1095-A to complete Form 8962 to reconcile advance payments of the premium tax credit on your tax return.  Filing your return without reconciling your advance payments will delay your refund.  You must file an income tax return for this purpose even if you are not otherwise required to do so.

PTC

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, yes.

Filing a federal tax return to claim and reconcile the Credit

If you or someone in your family received advance payments of the premium tax credit through the Health Insurance Marketplace, you must complete Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit.  You will receive Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement, which provides you with information about your health care coverage.  Use the information from Form 1095-A to complete Form 8962 to reconcile advance payments of the premium tax credit on your tax return.  Filing your return without reconciling your advance payments will delay your refund.  You must file an income tax return for this purpose even if you are not otherwise required to do so.

PTC

IRS Free File Program - https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/
If you are eligible you can use the TurboTax Free File Program which is free to file both a federal and state tax return.

I added the numbers in turbox tax and it does not make any difference in tax or refund...she is not getting or expecting any refund.

In other words its prefect reconciliation...I would to confirm...again..even if this is the case....she still needs to file tax return correct?

AlanT222
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are correct.  She must still file the return even though she is not getting a refund nor have a balance due.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies