Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is this a glitch with Turbotax?

TurboTax keeps putting my filing status as "single" even though my divorce wasn't finalized until 2020.  I think it's because I checked there's a custody agreement in place giving me the "right" to claim one of our children as a deduction.  Shouldn't my status be "married filing separately"?  When I get to the section that allows you to manually change your filing status, the drop down box does NOT have married filing separately as a choice.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Yes, that could be it. 

The agreement for one parent to claim a child is only between divorced parents. 

You can go back through the "My Info" section and edit the answers if needed. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If I go back and don't indicate there's an agreement in place allowing me to claim one of the kids, then how do I get the credit for them?  TurboTax then declares that my child is a nondependent.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

If you meet the qualifications below, you can be Head of Household. If you are the custodial parent (see below), you do not need an agreement that entitles you to claim the children.

You may be able to file as head of household if you meet all the following requirements.

1. You are unmarried or considered unmarried on the last day of the year. See Marital Status , earlier, and Considered Unmarried , later.
  2. You paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home for the year.
  3. A qualifying person lived with you in the home for more than half the year (except for temporary absences, such as school). However, if the qualifying person is your dependent parent, he or she doesn't have to live with you. See Special rule for parent , later, under Qualifying Person.

Qualifying Person

See Table 4 to see who is a qualifying person. Any person not described in Table 4 isn't a qualifying person.

Custodial parent and noncustodial parent.   The custodial parent is the parent with whom the child lived for the greater number of nights during the year. The other parent is the noncustodial parent.

If the parents divorced or separated during the year and the child lived with both parents before the separation, the custodial parent is the one with whom the child lived for the greater number of nights during the rest of the year.

A child is treated as living with a parent for a night if the child sleeps:

• At that parent's home, whether or not the parent is present, or
  • In the company of the parent, when the child doesn't sleep at a parent's home (for example, the parent and child are on vacation together).

Equal number of nights.   If the child lived with each parent for an equal number of nights during the year, the custodial parent is the parent with the higher adjusted gross income (AGI).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies