Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Is the Q4 estimated tax payment for state income taxes made Jan. 15 of 2020 for 2019 state taxes included in deductions for 2020 federal taxes? TT instr. says no.

I did look at the screen where I input the $226. "Taxes paid in 2021 for 2020."  In the state section of TurboTax the income taxes paid section is the 1099R amount for 2021 plus the $226 amount for 2020!  I can print up a short paragraph to go with the printed tax forms and indicate TurboTax combined my $226 payment for the 2020 balance with the withheld amount from the retirement account.  What do you think of that?  TurboTax made an error in the code for the state tax amount reported on the 1099 or W2s when there is also a payment for a different year.   There is no work-around for me to edit that line.  

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Is the Q4 estimated tax payment for state income taxes made Jan. 15 of 2020 for 2019 state taxes included in deductions for 2020 federal taxes? TT instr. says no.

I don't know for sure how that amount got on line 18, but I would GUESS that you entered it when you were on the Federal Screens under state taxes paid. 

The program does not ask for state taxes paid in 2021 for tax year 2020 UNLESS it is asking for ESTIMATED state taxes paid. 

Please return to the Federal screens, if you are working with TurboTax Online,

click "Pick up where I left off"

click FEDERAL on the left side

click Deductions & Credits along the top

Scroll down to "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid" click Show more 

Click open "Estimated Tax Payments" OR "Other Income Tax Paid" to determine where the 226 was entered

Please check to see if the 226 was entered under 

Other Income Taxes Paid in 2021

Balance due on your 2020 state taxes paid in 2021

Please make sure it was not entered under Estimated taxes

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies