Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is income received from personal loan taxable income?

I have a sole proprietorship. I had to shutdown due to Covid and took out an EIDL loan of $10,000 to purchase gear to work remotely. As I understand it, this loan money is not taxable income.

I am categorizing the gear I purchased as Assets and deducting costs via Section 179.

We took out a large home loan for unrelated home improvements and decided to deposit $10k of that money into my business account to pay back the EIDL early.

Is this $10k categorized as taxable income my Schedule C? Since I am not using earned income through the business to pay back the loan, and am deducting the value of my purchases, I'm not sure how to treat this.

Thanks for any guidance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

The EIDL loan is not taxable. 

EIDL Advances Are Not Taxable; Expenses Paid Are Deductible

Most important, the new stimulus law provides that the EIDL advances are not taxable income. And otherwise deductible business expenses paid with EIDL advances are tax-deductible.Feb 3, 2021

https://financialadvisors.com/blog/blogdetails/covid-19-related-government-grants-taxable-or-not#:~:....

Yes, this I understand. I'm referring to the $10k deposited to my business account from my personal account which was funded by our home loan. That's the cash that would be paying off the EIDL.

did you read the terms of the advance - see this for what the EIDL advance can and can not be used for;

What EIDL Loans Can Be Used For
The great thing about EIDLs is that there are very few restrictions on how funds are spent. According to the SBA, funds should be used for “financial obligations and operating expenses that could have been met had the disaster not occurred.”

What does this mean? Quite simply, it means that your day-to-day operating expenses can be covered using EIDL funds. EIDL funds are meant to help you keep your business doors open following a disaster. These loans help fill the gaps in income caused by a disaster (such as the COVID-19 pandemic) and serve as working capital to help your businesses be successful despite the challenges that come following such a disaster.

Let’s take a more specific look at how your EIDL funds can be spent. Qualifying expenses that can be covered using an EIDL include:

Working capital
Rent
Utilities
Payroll expenses
Fixed debt payments
Health care benefits
Supplies
Inventory
Marketing & advertising
Accounting & bookkeeping services
IRS tax payments
You can use funds to pay yourself but only for work that you are doing within the business — dividends, for example, are not covered.

It should also be noted that there are further restrictions on how funds are spent if you also received a Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loan.

How You Can’t Use Your EIDL
 Let’s take a look at the straightforward restrictions, then look at a few that are a little more complicated. You are restricted from using your EIDL funds for the following purposes:

Dividends & bonuses
Acquiring fixed assets
Expansions
Refinancing long-term debt
Repairing or replacing physical damage
Relocation

you have violated the terms of the advance since you used the money for an impermissible purpose

read the agreement as to what the rules are and what to do if you violate them. you may have to contact the SBA since this falls outside iof tax laws which is the purpose of the forum. 

It is not taxable income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies