turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS kept my return because I didn’t know to file an insolvency? It needs to be fixed asap

It was over two used cars from four years ago. The car lot filed on me. Can someone help with this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RobertG
Expert Alumni

IRS kept my return because I didn’t know to file an insolvency? It needs to be fixed asap

To exclude cancelled debt from income due to insolvency, you will need to file an amended return  for the year the tax was assessed.

The amended return should include Form 982.

To file a Form 982 you will need the CD/Download version of TurboTax Deluxe or a higher edition.  

According to IRS Publication 4681 You do not have to include a canceled debt in income to the extent that you were insolvent immediately before the cancellation. The publication includes an insolvency worksheet.  If your debts exceed your assets, you are insolvent.

You can get prior year tax software from TurboTax at this TurboTax website: Prior Year Taxes.

Once you have  CD/Download software you can switch to the Forms mode to complete Form 1099-C (Cancellation of Debt), Form 982, and the Canceled Debt Worksheet. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies