Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

egwozdz
Returning Member

Irrevocable trust for minor with additional unearned income

I am trying to file my taxes for  2018 and i can't seem to figure out where to claim the income for my daughters trust. She also receives income from a retirement account and social security (due to the death of my husband and not disability) so her unearned income is over the threshold and needs to be reported on her own return (15k). Do I have the option to report her trust income as reported on her 1041 on my own personal return or do i have to report this on her? Additionally, if she's filing her own return do i have to add her income on my return since she is my dependent?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If the child is required to file a tax return then ALL their  income  must be entered on their return and on their return only.  So if the trust files it's own tax return and issues the child a K1 form then it must be included on the child's return. 

egwozdz
Returning Member

The trust does file it's own return but I receive a Grantor Letter and not a K-1

So the trust does file it's own return ... however  it still  passes some of  the income onto the named beneficiary ... so it goes on that person's return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies