turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IND-511 and crazy ex-wife

I just got my taxes rejected because of IND-511 saying my SSN can't be on another tax return as a spouse filing separately. My current wife and I haven't filed anything earlier this year. We always file jointly. I went back and checked my return and it looks good. The only thing I can think of is my ex-wife (divorced 2003) has gone psycho (she has been admitted to psych wards) and she has this habit of saying we are still married. I have no way of locating her to ask and it wouldn't be civil or even a sane discussion. So....if she placed me as her spouse, do I have legal recourse? I guess I'll have to print the return, but this just stinks. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

IND-511 and crazy ex-wife

One way that you can check to see what might be on file for you in the IRS database is to take a look at your transcript found here: IRS Transcripts.

I would also suggest that you file Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit along with your mailed-in return, or separately if you've already mailed it.

I am sorry for the trouble that you're experiencing trying to file your return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies