Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do i enter the beverage containerr recycling income that I received in california

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

Where do i enter the beverage containerr recycling income that I received in california

Unless it's a business as TTPatrice mentions above, Calif has an income exclusion for Beverage Container Recycling Income. If you have entered that income in your federal return as "Other income" then in TT/Calif on the screen Here's the income that California handles differently, under Miscellaneous select Beverage Container Recycling Income. Enter the income there and it will be subtracted from your California income.

Patrice

If you are doing the beverage container recycling as a business then you would report the income as self-employment income as follows:

• Federal Taxes
  • Wages & Income
  • Self-Employment
  • Income and Expenses, then Click Start.
  • Did you have any self-employment income or expenses?, click Yes
  • Tell us the type of self-employment work you do, type in your description, click Continue
  • Let's get income, you can make your selection
  • If you do not have your Form 1099 Misc and wish to report, select Additional Income (check/cash payments), click Continue
  • Did you have any more income for sales? No, if that is the only one
  • Did you have expenses?, if you want to report any expenses related to this income, then you will need to upgrade to TurboTax Self-Employed. If not, then you can continue using your current TurboTax version.

If you are doing the beverage container recycling as a hobby then you would report the income as follows:  

• Click on Federal Taxes tab
  • Choose Wages and Income
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income and click Start to to right of Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  • Click Start to right of Hobby income and expenses

If you did the beverage container recycling as a "one-time" venture without the intent to make a profit (in business) then you would report the income as follows:

• Click the Federal Taxes tab 
  • Click Wages & Income. 
  • Click "I'll choose what I work on."
  • Scroll all the way down to the last section, "Less Common Income."
  • Click the Start or Update button for the last topic, "Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C."
  • On the next screen, "Let's Work on Any Miscellaneous Income," scroll down and click the Start or Update button for the last topic, "Other reportable income."
  • The next screen asks, "Did you receive any other taxable income." Click Yes.
  • On the next screen, "Other Taxable Income," enter a description and the amount. Click Continue.
  • On the next screen click Done.
  • The income will be reported on Form 1040 line 21 with the description that you entered.

But isn't the CRV just a deposit so that it incentivizes recycling?  I also pay sales tax on the beverage.  I pay up font and then get the refund upon recycling.  I'm not sure if this is actual income. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies