turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I was divorced on november 15th, do I still file my taxes joint with my wife or do I have to file single.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I was divorced on november 15th, do I still file my taxes joint with my wife or do I have to file single.

From Pub 17 , page 20

Marital Status
In general, your filing status depends on whether you are considered unmarried or mar- ried.
Unmarried persons. You are considered un- married for the whole year if, on the last day of your tax year, you are either:
• Unmarried, or
• Legally separated from your spouse under a divorce or separate maintenance decree. State law governs whether you are married or legally separated under a divorce or separate maintenance decree.
Divorced persons. If you are divorced un- der a final decree by the last day of the year, you are considered unmarried for the whole year.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

If you were not married on December 31 file single  

You file as married filing separately, because you were married for at least one day in 2019. It doesn't matter your marital status was single on December 31. For 2020 tax year you would file as single. 

KTR33
Returning Member

But while divorce ends your legal marriage, it doesn’t terminate your or your ex’s obligation to pay your fair share of federal income tax. If your divorce is final by Dec. 31 of the tax-filing year, the IRS will consider you unmarried for the entire year and you won’t be able to file a joint return.

From Pub 17 , page 20

Marital Status
In general, your filing status depends on whether you are considered unmarried or mar- ried.
Unmarried persons. You are considered un- married for the whole year if, on the last day of your tax year, you are either:
• Unmarried, or
• Legally separated from your spouse under a divorce or separate maintenance decree. State law governs whether you are married or legally separated under a divorce or separate maintenance decree.
Divorced persons. If you are divorced un- der a final decree by the last day of the year, you are considered unmarried for the whole year.

I was wrong see IRS Publication 504.  You would file as single because not married on Dec 31st

LindaB1993
Expert Alumni

You are considered Single for the entire year if you are divorced on or before  December 31, 2019.

• Unmarried, or

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies