Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I had an over payment from unemployment will my federal income tax be with held.

I owe the state of Wisconsin unemployment for over payment will I still get my federal tax back
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

If I had an over payment from unemployment will my federal income tax be with held.

There are only four types of debt for which the federal government will withhold your tax refund or send it to one of your creditors. These debts include past-due federal taxes, state income taxes, child support payments, and amounts you owe to other federal agencies, such as federal student loans you fail to pay. 

Therefore, the amount you owe to the Wisconsin Workforce Development Department isn't an income tax and wouldn't be withheld from your Federal income tax refund. However, you should be aware that your state may have other ways of obtaining payment from you. State laws commonly allow collection agencies to garnish your employment wages or levy your bank accounts.

Please see this article for more information.

See here for more information from the state of Wisconsin regarding unemployment overpayments.

[Edited 03/04/23| 3:06pm PST]

@timpartee67 (edited) 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
turnin
Returning Member

If tax was withheld; it was sent to IRS for processing your return.. if u paid it in.. u will have a credit in your account.

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

There are only four types of debt for which the federal government will withhold your tax refund or send it to one of your creditors. These debts include past-due federal taxes, state income taxes, child support payments, and amounts you owe to other federal agencies, such as federal student loans you fail to pay. 

Therefore, the amount you owe to the Wisconsin Workforce Development Department isn't an income tax and wouldn't be withheld from your Federal income tax refund. However, you should be aware that your state may have other ways of obtaining payment from you. State laws commonly allow collection agencies to garnish your employment wages or levy your bank accounts.

Please see this article for more information.

See here for more information from the state of Wisconsin regarding unemployment overpayments.

[Edited 03/04/23| 3:06pm PST]

@timpartee67 (edited) 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you very much I was wondering as I dud electronic filed on Feb 4th and haven't received anything yet...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies