Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cece19801

If I didn’t have taxes taken out of unemployment am j owed any money

I got my refund but don’t know if I’m owed any
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

If I didn’t have taxes taken out of unemployment am j owed any money

cece19801,

There are a couple of things related to unemployment compensation that might apply to your situation:

(1) The first $10,200 of unemployment compensation is exempt from tax for 2020.  However, folks who filed early in the tax season would not have had that exclusion made due to IRS timing.  The IRS states that they will issue refunds to those who are affected starting in May and there is no need for the taxpayer to do anything further to get that refund.  (There are some situations where it could pay to amend a return, for example if the reduced income then qualified you for some additional federal credit that you didn't claim already.)

(2) Some states tax unemployment benefits: Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, North Carolina, New York, Rhode Island, South Carolina and West Virginia.  Assuming, though, that you reported your unemployment 1099-G accurately, your refund from or amount owed to the state were already correct and the federal exclusion doesn't change the result.

So, bottom line, just sit back and relax. If you are owed money from the IRS, it will come.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies