Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

achilo123
Returning Member

If I am an international student with F1 visa, and my wife has F2 visa. When we report our daughter's school expense, which option should I choose to describe my wife?

I see there are only two options, full-time student, and incapable of self-care. But even she is dependent of mine, she is still not a full time student. But I check the definition of incapable of self-care, I don't think that option applies to my wife's situation either. However, if I chose non of the above, we could not get credit from our daughter's expense. Thanks.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

If I am an international student with F1 visa, and my wife has F2 visa. When we report our daughter's school expense, which option should I choose to describe my wife?

If you are considered a non-resident alien, you can’t use TurboTax.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

TurboTax doesn't support Form 1040NR: U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return, but we have a partnership with Sprintax offering a nonresident tax filing solution to our TurboTax customers.

Visit the TurboTax/Sprintax site for more info or to get started.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rojax731
Returning Member

The law state if you poses F1 visa you cannot work in the US and F2 visa are given to the spouses or the children of the F1 visa also cannot work in the US , these visa are for school only. The F1 Visa will allow you to work on campus after proving you could support yourself for a year, there fore you won't be making enough to claim anybody. However there are exception to the rules check the following web site irs,gov.

achilo123
Returning Member

Thanks, but I am a tax resident this year because I have been in US from 2008 to 2012, and 2018. My question is that whether we can have child expense credit when I hold F1 visa and my wife hold F2 visa. 

achilo123
Returning Member

Thanks. I am tax resident this year. Since I have been here from 2008 to 2012, and 2018. I just don't know whether we can have child daycare expense.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies