Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stniwa

I was paid wages under the FAMILIES FIRST CORONAVIRUS RESPONSE ACT (FFCRA) for virus self care in amount of 5099.72. Do I have to file any add'l paperwork for this?

I am a county government employee. My W-2 reflects my total taxable income and I take the standard deduction.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

I was paid wages under the FAMILIES FIRST CORONAVIRUS RESPONSE ACT (FFCRA) for virus self care in amount of 5099.72. Do I have to file any add'l paperwork for this?

No, you do not need to file any additional paperwork for the FFCRA. All the information that is needed is included on your W-2. Box 14 should show the amount that you received for FFCRA.

The Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA or Act) requires certain employers to provide employees with paid sick leave or expanded family and medical leave (EFML) for specified reasons related to COVID-19.   These payments are taxable on your federal return.  

Paid Family Leave (PFL) income is money you receive from your employer, an insurer, or the government while you are away from work for an extended period of time so you can recover from a serious health issue, take care of a seriously ill family member, or bond with your newborn or newly adopted child.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
alindy
Returning Member

I received a letter called Families First Coronavirus Response Act Leave Usage statement with my $511 EPSLA and EFMLEA for $200 per day.  But on my W2 they did not put the information in Box 14.  Can I still Efile or do I need to mail in my return with the letter or just add the information myself in Box 14  

alindy
Returning Member

Or do I need to have them issue me a new W2 with the information on it

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Wages paid under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act are not required to be reported in Box 14 of the W-2

You should not add it to your W-2 input if it is not already reported there.

You do not need a corrected W-2 for this reason either.

[Edited 02/18/2021|12:36 pm]

alindy
Returning Member

I dont need them to reissue a new W2?

alindy
Returning Member

so I can efile and the IRS doesn't need my statement letter I received from my employer?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can e-file without any additional information about the Families First Coronavirus Response Act.

The employer is required to report the FFCRA wages either on a W-2 or on a separate statement to the employee, That information would only be used further by people who are also self-employed.  See this from the IRS.

{Edited 01:12 PM PST}​​​​​​

Sarah937

So in this case, since I have a separate W2 detailing the hours I was paid under the FFCRA, TurboTax is saying that I cannot e-file because there is nothing in box 1 on that W2. So should I proceed with filing by mail because of this, or based on the information in this thread, can I leave this W2 out of my return? (since I am not self employed)

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can e-file without any additional information about the Families First Coronavirus Response Act.

The employer is required to report the FFCRA wages either on a W-2 or on a separate statement to the employee. That information would only be used further by people who are also self-employed.

Sarah937

Oh my goodness thank you so much for your fast reply!!

ramadevi

In the case of a statement received from the employer- a local governement to report the payments received from the FFCRA, where the wording says amount is reported on box 14 , do i need to report that on the W-2 or just ignore it

ramadevi

I have a similar situation, but there is nothing on box 14 , however there is a statment that was received along witht he W-2. Do i have to update the W-2 while entering the same? meaning there is no info on box 14 on W-2, but the statment says include it on box 14. I have just edited the w-2 entry and included the amounts from the statement onto the screen where i keyed the W-2. Is this how it is supposed to be reported?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It depends. If there was no additional self-employment income, and the amount in Box 14 does not exceed the daily limit for sick pay or if the wages were considered emergency family leave wages, then, yes, report the FFCRA amount in Box 14 that was provided in the supplemental statement on Form W-2 from your employer.

Otherwise, there may be an additional filing requirement for self-employed individuals. 

For more information, see: IRS Notice 2020-54: Guidance on Reporting Qualified Sick Leave Wages and Qualified Family Leave Wage..., page 9.

@ramadevi

I'm working through Turbo Tax Deluxe. On my W2, box 14 contains FFFLMA and a number. Does this mean that I do NOT need to check the box on the next screen indicating that we received Paid Family Leave?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies