turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was legally separated during the year but we both have mortgage interest (exs name and social) and schedule d investments (my social) to claim. How do I claim my share?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
RobertG
Expert Alumni

I was legally separated during the year but we both have mortgage interest (exs name and social) and schedule d investments (my social) to claim. How do I claim my share?

You can enter your home mortgage interest without a 1098, just make sure you don't both claim the same interest.

The schedule D is more complicated, since you have to claim the 1099 in full if it is in your name to avoid correspondence from the IRS matching program.

If your spouse intends to enter part of the gain as income you can enter the 1099 in full on your return and then make a nominee adjustment for the amount she intends to report.

Here is how to make a nominee adjustment.

Report the capital gains (Form 1099-B, Form 1099-DIV?) (entire amount) on your Form 1040 Then, enter a Nominee Distribution for the amount that the nominee received.

Enter the Nominee's portion as a negative number on Schedule 1 line 8 with the caption, “Distribution to Nominee YYY, CAP Gains, SSN xx-xxxxxxx.”  The negative number on Schedule 1 line 8 will adjust the income of the reported payee to the correct amount.  

Enter the negative income adjustment with the following menu path:

• Federal Taxes
  • Wages & Income
  • Less Common Income
  • Miscellaneous Income
  • Start
  • Other Reportable Income
  • Start
  • Other Taxable Income
  • Description = “Distribution to Nominee YYY, SSN xxx-xx-xxxx”
  • Amount = -$xxx

Or enter "other reportable income" in the Search Box and Select "Jump to other reportable income". Continue to the screen "Other Taxable Income". Enter the description as “Cap Gains to Nominee YYY, SSN xxx-xx-xxxx” and the amount as a negative numberThese are NOT wages.

TurboTax will transfer this to Schedule 1 line 8.

You can e-file with this approach because the disclosure is on the face of the return at Schedule 1 line 8.  

Part of this answer is from ToddL

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for that information. However I had a capital loss from Schedule D investments (which is in my name). How do I share that capital loss with him?

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

The ability to deduct a capital loss must be determined between the two of you if the investments were jointly owned. If it was in your name only, you may have a claim to the deduction over your spouse. 

Generally, you can use your capital losses to offset your capital gains for the year plus a $3,000 deduction ($1,500 if married filing separately). However, if you have no gains, you can deduct losses up to only $3,000. If you're married filing separately, the limit drops to $1,500 per spouse.

Married Filing Separately

Tax Tips for Separated Couples

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ok thanks but how do I share the capital loss with my ex husband who I was legally separated with in 2019 if the 1099R is in my social security but the account is in both of our names.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies