Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

doronw

I used the wrong address for my federal information form and need to change it

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
ddaven12

If you have not yet filed your tax return you can still go back and correct the address by following the steps below:

• Sign into your Online account and select Take me to my return.
  • Next select My Info in the left side bar.
  • On the Personal Info Summary screen scroll down to mailing address and select Edit. This will allow you to correct the mailing address prior to filing your tax return.

If you have already filed your tax return, you would not be able to correct the mailing address in TurboTax. You can try contacting the IRS at 800-829-1040 for assistance in updating the address to the IRS. In the meantime you can use the IRS change of address form to notify them of the change. 

If you are receiving your tax refund by Direct Deposit there is no need to contact the IRS by phone you can just complete the Change of address form and this would not have any impact on your tax refund.

If you are expecting a paper check in the mail, you should contact them right away.

Here are the instructions to change your address with the IRS  IRS Form 8822 Address Change .

Also, don't forget to contact your state agency also. Here is an FAQ with instructions on contacting your State Department of Revenue.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302452

I noticed on my address there is a typo 

my address is <removed>

on my return there is an error is says 

<removed> 

how do I correct this 

also I believe my stimulus check was mailed to the incorrect address 

My address was listed different from what I submitted in TurboTax. It's completely missing the street name and I know for a fact I inputted this information when I filed. I'm unable to make address change now as Turbotax says the form is unavailable. 

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@katherinephillips If you have already Efiled your return and it has been Accepted by the IRS, you won't be able to change your address.

If your return is Rejected, you will be able to open it and make the correction in the MY INFO section and Efile again. 

If you selected Direct Deposit, the wrong address on your return won't affect you getting your refund. 

If you are expecting a check, use this IRS Change of Address Form

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@MarilynG1  My forms were already accepted. How will I receive my stimulus check if the address on my tax form is wrong and there is no direct deposit information? I was not able to input direct deposit information because I did not qualify for a return. My two previous stimulus checks were received direct deposit with no issues but this time I filed with turbotax and am having issues. 

You can update your address and/or bank account information with the IRS.

A taxpayer's “last known address” is defined in Treas. Reg. § 301.6212-2(a) as the address on the taxpayer's most recently filed and properly processed return, unless the Service has been given clear and concise notification of a different address.  It is possible after filing a tax return to notify the IRS of the change by mailing Form 8822. Here is an IRS link with more information.

The bank account is updated in the same way.  It will use the last known bank account but you can change it after you file.  This may be important because there is a possibility that there could be a third stimulus on the way in 2021 although we do not have information about it at the current time.  Here is information about how to tell the IRS about your direct deposit if you wish to change it. 

@katherinephillips

I never filed a tax return with Turbotax until this year. All my previous tax returns have been filed by myself via mail. If there is not a direct deposit information via turbotax (because I wasn't given an option to input it), my stimulus check will probably be mailed but the information that they have on file via turbotax is not correct and is not what I put in. It's missing the entire street name and is a foreign address as I am currently overseas at the moment. Will the IRS just automatically look at my information from last year even if it wasn't filed with turbotax?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Has your 2020 Federal 1040 tax return been accepted by the IRS?

The IRS says that the only way to update your mailing address and banking information is by filing your 2020 Federal 1040 tax return.  The IRS is making no portal available.

Even if your 2020 Federal 1040 tax return is accepted, we do not know whether the IRS will issue a third stimulus payment using 2019 tax information or 2020 tax information.

This TurboTax Help states:

Do I need to do anything to get my stimulus check?

You don’t need to do anything to get your stimulus check. The IRS will determine eligibility based on your last tax return (either 2019 or 2020) and will likely send your payment to the bank account where your tax refund was deposited.

When the IRS issues your third stimulus payment, they likely will mail a stimulus check.  Does the IRS even have a good mailing address from your 2019 tax return?  The IRS does not know.

At some point, this IRS FAQ may come into play.  We do not know when.

​This IRS FAQ My payment was mailed but my post office was unable to deliver it. states:

Once we receive your payment back, you may be able to provide your bank account information in Get My Payment to have your payment reissued as a direct deposit.

If this is the case, then Get My Payment will show “Need More Information,” usually two to three weeks after the payment is issued. At this point, you can enter a routing and account number for your bank account, prepaid debit card or alternative financial product that has a routing and account number associated with it.

If you do not provide account information, your payment will be reissued when we receive an updated address.

Follow the TurboTax COVID Tax Center and the IRS Economic Impact Payment Information Center as further updates are issued by the IRS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies