Neither -- The income from your sole proprietor business is reported on Schedule C in your tax return. You do not need to issue a W-2 or 1099 to yourself.
To include your self-employed business income, you will need to use either TurboTax Self-Employed (online) or TurboTax Home & Business (CD/Download). To enter general information, income and expenses for your business, please follow these steps:
TurboTax Self-Employed (online)
- Click Income and Expenses and then click the Start/Revisit box in the Self-Employment section.
- If you haven't yet entered information on your business, you should see a screen, Tell us the type of self-employment work you do. Enter a description of your work, for example dog training, graphic design, etc.
- If you are filing a joint return, indicate whether the business belongs to you or your spouse and click Continue.
- Proceed through the screens, entering the requested information.
- When you have completed the interview, you will be brought to the Here's your [business] info screen, where you can enter more information on your business, like income, expenses, assets, etc.
TurboTax Home & Business (CD/Download)
- Click on the Business tab > Continue > I'll choose what to work on
- On the Let’s gather your business info screen, in the Business Income and Expenses section, click the Start/Update button.
- If you have already started adding information about your business, you will see the Here's the business info we have so far screen. Click on the Edit box next to the business.
- If you haven't already started adding business information, continue through the screens to enter the needed information.
- You will now be on the Your [business description] Business screen.
- You will be able to select the category you wish to enter—income, expenses, assets, etc.
- After finishing with one category, you will be brought back to the Your Business screen to select another category.
- Click Continue when finished,