Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm stuck at one of the screens saying "check this entry" on form 1099-Bwhich need a "Date Acquired". When I put in the date and hit "Continue" nothing happens!

Form 1099-B worksheet
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

I'm stuck at one of the screens saying "check this entry" on form 1099-Bwhich need a "Date Acquired". When I put in the date and hit "Continue" nothing happens!

Anybody? Please help! This is literally stopping me to file my returns. Otherwise I have to look for some other provider.

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Yes enter the information into Turbo Tax.

It is pretty common to receive a 1099-B with incomplete or missing information.   

If you would like more information about entering missing data, click on button in Turbo Tax.

If your 1099-B is from Chase Bank, there  may have been a problem downloading the original 1099-B.  For additional information see the following link:

Information regarding Chase Bank 1099-B downloads

As stated in the title/description of the problem, when the “date acquired” is entered (from 1099-B PDF) and clicked “continue” button it still loads the same page with same details! I tried to manually edit the transactions in the “wages & income” section but in the final review it still complains for “date required” again and again!!! I think it’s a software bug on the TurboTax side!

Exactly the same issue here. Have you found any solution yet. Talked with Customer care twice without any solution. 

Yes fixed it after spending hours on it which Turbo Tax should compensate for my time to troubleshoot their software issue (or lack of user experience).

Problem #1:

Either at the financial institution who produce the TT data schema or TT, the import for dates that are marked as "various" are not imported as such but with the "Date acquired" flag with empty date on it!

Hence TT is asking us to add the date in the review screen.

Problem #2:

The bigger of the 2 problems, "the error message is horrible". TT is doing validation at the entire form level, but reporting the validation error at the lineitem level

Eg: If you have 2 transactions (say A and B) that need dates. If you fix one (A) but not for (B), the error message is still reported for (A), because that is the first transaction (even after you fix the date for A!!!!).

Solution:

---------------------------------------------------------

1. Go to wages & income

2. Click "Edit/Add" against "Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other"

3. Click "Edit" against the financial institution

4. Edit each of the transaction to put either the date or select "something other than a date" -> various

(you may refer your 1099-B PDF from the financial institution)

5. Make sure complete this step for all the transactions for the institution

6. Do the same for all institution's transactions.

7. Then save and continue, you'll not be asked to review for this issue

Give a try, I pray you don't have 100's of transactions!!

PS: the very reason I was (yes, past-tense) using TT was the auto import feature. If they want me to spend my time to fix their problem and go through every transaction and end up pay top dollar. I can very well do this other free (or near free) providers!

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I have 199 transactions. Yesterday, I went and edited few transaction as you have suggested and gave up at the end. It appears that I have to do it. No other choice.

I completely, agree with you and better to go with free software. This is Last time with Turbotax. 

VChen26

Hey man, 

Hopefully you haven't given up yet/done all the changes yet. I had the same problem as you and I figured out my problem after I imported through webull.

It seems they had issues with the lines that reported the dates as "Various" as the purchase date.
If you go to the just go to your state filing first and let it import the data from your federal filing and walk through it, they will actually tell you which specific lines are having an issue, as the federal check seems to just tell you the last line in the reported file.

Basically, I used to state filing to figure out I had 4 lines with messed up dates, and I manually corrected those dates and it fixed everything for me!

Hope this helps man.

Thank you, you're genius!

I spent 2 hours on call with support, but all they were able to tell me is to reboot my computer...

I have the same exact issue with a form imported from M1 Finance, 167 trades with flag "various". And as in your case I was receiving an error with completely unrelated ticker which didn't even have the issue at all.

I seem to have no choice than to fix all these transactions manually.

Thanks, Intuit, much appreciated!! 😡

I ended up writing a script on javascript & React devtools. The script which went through all 160 entries with undefined DateAcquired field, and set it to "VARIOUS". I spent 3-4 hours to write the script, and then script took another 5 hours to run because loading time on every screen is HUGE.

So basically, spent a day to fix the data issue caused by this data import bug on TT side. I'm 95% sure it's on TT side because the form looks normal when I download it from M1 Finance. And also, seems like people in this thread have the same issue with other brokerages. 

Intuit, if you wish to compensate me for the time spent fixing it - I won't refuse.

I could share the script with anybody who's interested,  but it requires some technical knowledge to use it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies