Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just filed my 2022 tax and i was instructed to mail in 8453. Does it mean I have to physically mail my 500+ page of transactions to the IRS to complete my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

I just filed my 2022 tax and i was instructed to mail in 8453. Does it mean I have to physically mail my 500+ page of transactions to the IRS to complete my return?

Regarding stock and options, for Box A and Box D, only wash sales or other adjusted transactions have to be itemized on e-Filed Form 8949 or mailed Form 8949, or equivalent.

The other transactions without adjustments can be aggregated. Report the sub-totals of cost and proceeds for those transactions on Schedule D Line 1a or Line 8a respectively.

If you have no wash sales, there will be no form 8949, No attachment is necessary. No mailing is necessary.

That's the only detail report exception.

there is no detail report exception for the other Boxes on Schedule D.

@aznkk82 

I do have wash sales.

find the pages that have details of a wash sale and print that page.

how many pages is that ?

@aznkk82 

yikes, if i need to locate all wash, then it would be near impossible.
I was trying day trading and lost tons. :(

Would I better off print out everything and mail it all.

Or can I amend my submitted return so I don't need to mail in the 8453

I did a similar return for 2021 but I was able to import all my trades into TT Desktop and didn't have to mail in the 8453.

why is it impossible?

wash sales are easily identified on your consolidated 1099-B.

admittedly, it would be helpful if your brokerage grouped those all separately.

Complain to your brokerage.

@aznkk82 

I had a few brokers that I used, all but 1 was able to be imported. 
would i just need to find the wash sale that wasn't able to be imported?
Would TT send the imported one to IRS?

whatever is listed on your e-Filed return does not have to be duplicated on paper.

@aznkk82 

Ok, so basically the whole file for the summarize entry that I had to enter manually. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies