Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wojken09

I been a widow since 11/2019, do i continue filing my husband taxes along with mines as married file jointly? or should i change my filing status to Head of household?

can i file my deceased husband taxes for 2019  as filed married jointly?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I been a widow since 11/2019, do i continue filing my husband taxes along with mines as married file jointly? or should i change my filing status to Head of household?

sorry for your loss. for 2019 you file a joint return.  make sure you enter his date of death in TurboTax because there's a special form.    there's a question I can't answer and that is where to report any income he earned after his death.    it may be that a trust return needs to be filed.   that trust's income may end up getting reported on your return.   if this is the case, seek professional help for proper reporting.  however, if everything was held in joint tenancy all income for 2019 would get reported on the return.

you will also be able to file as a qualifying widower in 2020 and 2021if:

1) you do not remarry in either of those years (in such a case you would use either joint or married filing separate as filing status)

2) you paid more than 1/2 the cost of keeping up your home

3) you home was the main home for the entire year for a dependent child or stepchild (see rules below to determine if a child/stepchild qualifies)

if you do not have a dependent as outlined above and don't remarry your filing status for those years would be single.

if you have a dependent other than a qualifying child/stepchild you could use head of household.  

rules to be qualifying child or stepchild

1) the child/stepchild  must be any of the following a) under age 19 at the end of the year b) a full-time student and under age 24 at end of the year c) ot any age if totally and permanently disabled.
2) the child hasn’t provided over ½ his support
3) No joint return with the exception for a joint return filed only to claim a refund of tax withheld when neither spouse is required to file and no tax liability would exist for either spouse if separate returns were filed

should 

have same issue. if no dependents 2019 is last time to file jointly.

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Yes, after that you should file as single.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies