turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a co-signer on an older relative's checking account to facilitate managing his money (paying bills, etc). When the relative who owns the account dies, do I have any tax consequences from becoming the only person who can sign checks on the account?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

I am a co-signer on an older relative's checking account to facilitate managing his money (paying bills, etc). When the relative who owns the account dies, do I have any tax consequences from becoming the only person who can sign checks on the account?

It depends on a number of factors, including how you are listed on the account. For example, if you are listed as a joint account holder, then yes you will have tax consequences. It also matters how the last will and testament is set up, if they even have one.

Generally, when a person dies all of their assets get transferred into an estate. The estate then pays any and all taxes that may be due and what's left is distributed according to the will. If no will, then according to state law.

I would *HIGHLY* recommend you seek the services of an elder law attorney *AND* a CPA for this. Laws differ state to state and what matters to you is the laws of "your" state as well as the state the other person resides in, if different from you. It can get complicated.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies