Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a bit confused about why my Idaho state tax is owed so high! $1500! I have never owed that much in state taxes ever and I see I am claiming the lowest “0” this year and only $3 per payc

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

I am a bit confused about why my Idaho state tax is owed so high! $1500! I have never owed that much in state taxes ever and I see I am claiming the lowest “0” this year and only $3 per payc

It depends.

• Did you earn more income or did your withholdings change from last year?
  • Were you eligible for a tax credit in the past that you haven't claimed this year, or that you were not eligible for anymore?
  • Did you file using a different filing status this year (for example, married to single)?

The changes can be due to a variety of factors.  

The best thing to do is compare your information to your tax return as filed last year to narrow down where your information may have changed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the quick response! We didn’t get any special discounts year before and were given a refund check, I filed 0 last year as well but did change the filing to a 1 for federal halfway thru the year (had to pay $800+ Federal) for that this year in addition to the state taxes. We usually owe $40-$150 each year and usually get a refund. My husband claims what the tax calculator recommended. We filed his pay stubs first and he was due a refund then we added my jobs in and as soon as I did it showed money I owed the state and federal as high!
I worked a few other jobs and also filed zero on those jobs. So unsure. We even added discounts from owning a home and everything like that in. And still owed this much. Very confusing. 

even with making more $$ this filing our tax bracket is the same. Married filing jointly, same.

if you work a few jobs for a short time, often no tax is withheld. Then you owe it at Tax Time.

Check your W-2s.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies