Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to file foreign provident funds

I have two foreign provident funds which I cashed out (what I got out was less than what I deposited so basically at a loss). How do I report this using turbotax (I have premier desktop 2022)?
Also, is just having an account something I need to report each year? If so, how?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LoriLeighEA
Employee Tax Expert

Thanks for joining us today, tal32123!

Generally foreign pensions(such as provident funds) are taxable to US citizens or residents. You only report any income you receive from this account - such as withdrawals and payments. You will need to create a substitute 1099R form.

Here is how you would enter it into TurboTax Online:

• Sign in to your account and select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, type in 1099R, then Enter
  • Select Jump to 1099R
  • Follow prompts
  • Next screen, Choose your bank or brokerage, select I'll type it in myself
  • Follow prompts.  On the screen "Tell us if any of these uncommon situations apply" 
  • Check the box I need to prepare a substitute 1099R and follow the prompts.  It will ask you for a federal ID number, which you probably will not have since it is a foreign country.Because of this, you will not be able to e-file the tax return. Once you have completed your this return, you will need to print it out, sign and date it, and mail it to the IRS with copies of income documents.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the help, just to clarify:
If I deposited in 2020,2021,2022 $15,000 for example and then cashed out the account and received $10,000 (so for this example a loss of $5,000) I still need to report this even though its basically sold at a loss?

LoriLeighEA
Employee Tax Expert

If this is an Indian Employee Provident Fund, it should be exempt from U.S. tax pursuant to the U.S.-Republic of India Income Tax Treaty. You would still have to report the income on your U.S. Taxes - you would use IRS form 8833. Here is more information regarding this:

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-8833

TurboTax does not support Form 8833. You would have to use an outside tax preparer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies