Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to answer Coverdell ESA questions

Could I request help as to how I should answer the following questions:

• Basis in this Coverdell ESA as of Dec 31, 2022
    • As the parent, I have contributed to this account over 15 plus years
    • Withdrawals are used to fund college expenses - tuition, room and board
  • Total value of this Coverdell ESA as of Dec 31, 2022
    • Does this refer the money left in the account
    • If so, why couldn't it be reported in the 1099-Q form itself

Any help in understanding and answering these questions is appreciated.

Regards,

Ramesh

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
starsj

1.  Basis:   Add up your Total Contributions over the 15 years and the Total amount is your BASIS.

2.  Total Value of your Coverdell ESA as of 12-31-2022 - This is the TOTAL ACCUMULATED VALUE of your Coverdell Account which consists of YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS plus the INTERESTS or EARNINGS over the 15 years.

SallyJane *SJ* Lim, CFP, CLU, LUTCF

email:  [email address removed]

View solution in original post

18 Replies
starsj

1.  Basis:   Add up your Total Contributions over the 15 years and the Total amount is your BASIS.

2.  Total Value of your Coverdell ESA as of 12-31-2022 - This is the TOTAL ACCUMULATED VALUE of your Coverdell Account which consists of YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS plus the INTERESTS or EARNINGS over the 15 years.

SallyJane *SJ* Lim, CFP, CLU, LUTCF

email:  [email address removed]

SharonD007
Expert Alumni

In addition to the information that starsj posted, I wanted to provide you a link Guide to IRS Form 1099-Q: Payments from Qualified Education Programs with additional information. 

Box 1 of your Form 1099-Q reports your total withdrawals, box 2 reports the earnings from your initial investment and box 3 reports your basis in the distribution. Please refer to the TurboTax article What is IRS Form 1099-Q?

@rerrabolu 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for taking time to answer my query. Your explanation is very helpful.

I understand what boxes 2 and 3 are asking.

The question is how does one gather this information if the institution that manages the Coverdell ESA does not provide this information.

Assuming withdrawals are made to cover expenses for 4 years.

• Basis for each year:  Total contributions / 4
  • Earnings for each year: Withdrawals of each year - Basis of each year

I suspect this simple way will not fit many other scenarios, where withdrawals are made over longer terms and contributions could be happening concurrently.

Regards,

Ramesh

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

The financial institution has an obligation to report those numbers in Boxes 1,2 and3. 

If you received a 1099-Q without those boxes reported, what is it reporting? 

I'm sure the Account Manager could supply you with those numbers, but if the distribution was used to pay education expenses, including Room and Board, there is no need to enter the 1099-Q. 

In this case, don't report the distribution and also lower the expense it was used to pay. 

In other words, if you paid 10,000 in tuition and used a 6,000 distribution to pay tuition, only enter 4,000 as tuition expense (if you further need to apply expenses towards scholarships or for an Education Credit) 

If it was entirely used to pay Room and Board, don't enter the distribution. Additionally Room and Board would then become irrelevant. 

taug24
Returning Member

Replying to this thread with a relevant question.

What should be done to calculate the basis if the company managing the ESA has no records of total contributions? Box 2 and 3 are left as $0 and am told I need to calculate it myself using a table from the IRS. — My ESA fund has been managed by more than one company over the years, and I did not find any records from them about total contributions dating years back.

What should be done if the contributor has no records of contributions?  

How should this be reported if some of the distribution was used for a qualifying expense and some was not? I had later found out this year that one of my expenses did not qualify.

Hal_Al
Level 15

ESAs predate 529 plans.  As such, there was no requirement for the administrator to keep track of those numbers. It's up to you to do that. 

Q.  What should be done if the contributor has no records of contributions? 

A. Do the best you can so that the entire distribution is not treated as earnings. You should have some idea how much you put in, that's your original basis. If you've taken previous year distributions, use a ratio. See example below.

Q. How should this be reported if some of the distribution was used for a qualifying expense and some was not?

A. In the TurboTax (TT) interview, you report the distribution and you report the qualified expenses. TT calculates the taxable portion and reports it on line 8z of Schedule 1.  TT will prepare a worksheet for your records, but the actual calculations are not sent to the IRS.  If the 10% penalty applies, TT will calculate that on form 5329. 

Example:

You put in $20,000 over the years. In 2021, you took out $5000 and had a year end balance of $30,000. 

20,000/(30,000 + 5000) = 57% is basis, 43% is earning.  43% x $5000 = $2150 of your 2021 distribution was earnings. 

taug24
Returning Member

Hi there,

Thank you for the response. It was very insightful and I understood what you said.

After looking at your example, I am left with a small question about the earnings. I may be misunderstanding, but it seems like the basis is not taxable which is why earnings are calculated. If that is correct, $2150 would be calculated as earnings and put into box 2. Box 3 would be distribution - earnings (box 1 - box 2), I believe. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

So, I am left with a question regarding earnings — is the 10% penalty applied to the $2150 of earnings? If not, does that mean that the $2150 is what is penalized and taken away from the distribution of $5000?

Thank you,

taug

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. It seems like the basis is not taxable which is why earnings are calculated. 

A. That's correct. 

Q. Is the 10% penalty applied to the $2150 of earnings?

A.  Yes.  In addition to the penalty, the $2150 would be taxed at you marginal tax rate. That assumes the whole $5000 distribution was non qualified.

You indicated that only some of the distribution was non qualified.  Taking the example further, let's say that only $1000 (of the $5000 2021 distribution) was not used for qualified expenses (tuition, fees, books and computer, room and board).  1000 / 5000 = 20%.  Only 20% of the $2150 ($430) is taxable and subject to the 10% penalty.  TurboTax is capable of doing that calculation, but it can get tricky. 

You put in $20,000 over the years. In 2021, you took out $5000 and had a year end balance of $30,000. 

20,000/(30,000 + 5000) = 57% is basis, 43% is earning.  43% x $5000 = $2150 of your 2021 distribution was earnings. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Qualified Tuition Plans  (QTP 529 Plans) Distributions

General Discussion

It’s complicated.

For 529 plans, there is an “owner” (usually the parent), and a “beneficiary” (usually the student dependent). The "recipient" of the distribution can be either the owner or the beneficiary depending on who the money was sent to. When the money goes directly from the Qualified Tuition Plan (QTP) to the school, the student is the "recipient". The distribution will be reported on IRS form 1099-Q. 
The 1099-Q gets reported on the recipient's return.** The recipient's name & SS# will be on the 1099-Q.
Even though the 1099-Q is going on the student's return, the 1098-T should go on the parent's return, so you can claim the education credit. You can do this because he is your dependent.

You can and should claim the tuition credit before claiming the 529 plan earnings exclusion. The American Opportunity Credit (AOC or AOTC) is 100% of the first $2000 of tuition and 25% of the next $2000 ($2500 maximum credit). The educational expenses he claims for the 1099-Q should be reduced by the amount of educational expenses you claim for the credit.
But be aware, you can not double dip. You cannot count the same tuition money, for the tuition credit,  that gets him an exclusion from the taxability of the earnings (interest) on the 529 plan. Since the credit is more generous; use as much of the tuition as is needed for the credit and the rest for the interest exclusion. Another special rule allows you to claim the tuition credit even though it was "his" money that paid the tuition.
In addition, there is another rule that says the 10% penalty is waived if he was unable to cover the 529 plan withdrawal with educational expenses either because he got scholarships or the expenses were used (by him or the parents) to claim the credits. He'll have to pay tax on the earnings, at his lower tax rate (subject to the “kiddie tax”), but not the penalty.

Total qualified expenses (including room & board) less amounts paid by scholarship less amounts used to claim the Tuition credit equals the amount you can use to claim the earnings exclusion on the 1099-Q. 
Example:
  $10,000 in educational expenses(including room & board)

-$3000 paid by tax free scholarship***

-$4000 used to claim the American Opportunity credit

=$3000 Can be used against the 1099-Q (on the recipient’s return)

Box 1 of the 1099-Q is $5000

Box 2 is $2800

3000/5000=60% of the earnings are tax free; 40% are taxable

40% x 2800= $1120

There is  $1120 of taxable income (on the recipient’s return)

**Alternatively; you can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if your student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution. You would still have to do the math to see if there were enough expenses left over for you to claim the tuition credit. Again, you cannot double dip!  When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records, in case of an IRS inquiry.

On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 

***Another alternative is have the student report some of his scholarship as taxable income, to free up some expenses for the 1099-Q and/or tuition credit. Most people come out better having the scholarship taxable before the 529 earnings. 

taug24
Returning Member

Hi there,

In the event part of the distribution was used for educational qualified expenses and part was not, which option should be selected within Turbo Tax?

• This distribution was used for qualified educational expenses
  • This distribution was not used for qualified education expenses

It seems that selecting the option that it was not used for educational expenses ends up causing more taxes to be owed. I would like to think that Turbo Tax is applying all of the distributions to your listed education expenses, and if over, it is applying taxes appropriately. As such, I believe option 1 seems correct even though some of the was not used for qualified education expenses. Please correct me if I am wrong and should choose option two instead.

Thank you for all your help,

taug

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. In the event part of the distribution was used for educational qualified expenses and part was not, which option should be selected within Turbo Tax?

A. You are correct, use option 1: answer that This distribution was used for qualified educational expenses.

Q. I would like to think that Turbo Tax is applying all of the distributions to your listed education expenses, and if over, it is applying taxes appropriately. 

A.  Yes, but it can get complicated and it's helpful if you have idea of the outcome.  If you are the student  or the student is your dependent, your enter the educational expenses, later in the educational expenses section. Be sure to enter the 1099-Q before you enter the expenses. 

There are three things you can do with your Qualified educational expenses (QEE):

1. Allocate then to scholarships (so that the scholarship remains tax free)
  2. Use them to claim an education credit
  3. Allocate them to the 529 distribution (1099-Q) so that it will not all be taxable

TurboTax allocates QEE, in that order, until you tell it otherwise. TurboTax allocates QEE, in that order, but it doesn't do a very good job.  See explanation and example above. 

If you get stuck, reply back, there's a workaround, if you are not claimant a tuition credit. 

taug24
Returning Member

Hello,

Thank you a lot for your reply. Your information was very helpful. I am at the last hurdle it seems. I am asking this question within this thread as it may be helpful for others. 

I have entered my 1099-Q Coverdell ESA income information and I am prompted to enter information for form 8615, Tax for Certain Children Who Have Unearned Income. This is because I am under age 23 and claimed as a dependent by my father. My unearned income from my Coverdell ESA funds exceeded $2,300, so I believe this means that I am being taxed at my parent's tax rate. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I entered their taxable income from line 15, form 1040. I also entered their qualified dividends from line 3a, form 1040. The value for 3a is assumed to be 0 until I can confirm, but there is 90% certainty from my parents that it is 0. I am then required to enter their capital gains information from Schedule D. My question is: If my parents have 0 for their qualified dividends in line 3a, form 1040, can the parental capital gains section of form 8615 be left blank? TurboTax is asking for the following information:

• Schedule D, Line 7.
  • Schedule D, Line 15 OR Qualified Div/Cap Gain Wrksht Line 3
  • Schedule D, Line 18
  • Schedule D, Line 19
  • Form 4952, Line 4g

I am assuming if qualified dividends in form 1040 is -0-, the information above can be left blank since they all pertain to dividend gain / loss. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you so much for your help!

All the best,

taug

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If the distribution from your Coverdell ESA reported on Form 1099-Q was entirely used for Qualified Education Expenses, you don't need to enter it on your tax return (or on your parent's return).  Just retain it for your records.

Here's more info on Form 1099-Q

Unless you are required to file for other types of dependent income, you may not need to file a tax return.  Click this link for more info on Dependent Filing Requirements.

As far as Schedule D info from your parent's return, there are many types of income reported on Schedule D besides dividends.  Stock sales, other investment sales, home sales, land sales, business equipment sales, etc. 

Here's more detailed info on Schedule D. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies