Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

crhox20

Tax Year Prior to 2020: How should I answer the question " Estimated how much state taxes did you pay from 2018 in the year 2019.

this is my very first time filing.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: How should I answer the question " Estimated how much state taxes did you pay from 2018 in the year 2019.

You would answer 0 or leave the field blank to the question "Estimated how much state taxes did you pay from 2018 in the year 2019".

This is your first year filing so you do did not file a 2018 tax return, therefore, you do not have any 2018 state tax to report on your 2019 tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
edgaiero

Best answer

I am see my 2018 4th quarter estimated taxes value in this window.  But I paid the estimated taxes on 12/28/2018 so it was NOT paid in 2019.  Why is Turbo Tax saying it was paid in 2019?  I know the state took a week to get the money out of checking so it was done in January of 2019, but that shouldn't count since it was submitted on 12/29/2018 and how does it even know that Maryland didn't get the money until January, is it reading my quicken files?

So what should I do?  I think I should 0 it out since its I submitted it on 12/28.  Help!

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

It does't really matter when Maryland receives the payment. The due date is actually January 15th. So, as long as payments were made towards the December ending quarter, it is okay to include the amount as part of the estimated tax payment. 

So, the amount you paid for December 28, 2018 is actually for 2018 taxes even though it was received by Maryland in 2019.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies