Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

timtbonicus
Returning Member

home office for startup

I'm retired in the Midwest, but a California startup recruited me for marketing director.  I am only paid in stock, which I purchased for nominal fee, that we hope will gain value next year. So I am out-of-pocket significant expenses for travel, computing technology and printing supplies. Thank you in advance:

• As my principal place of business, can I deduct some of home office costs?

• Where can I research how this stock-as-salary value gain/loss should be reported?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
NancyM5
Employee Tax Expert

home office for startup

The deductibility of home office expenses would depend on whether you are considered an employee or self-employed.  And that is a legal question, rather than a tax question.  Do you have a contract with this California start-up and does the contract indicate that you are an employee or independent contractor?  Here are three articles that may help in this determination:

If you are an independent contractor then you can probably deduct home office expenses.  This space must be your principal place of business and you must use it exclusively and regularly for business.  The Home Office Deduction explains these requirements in more detail.  And Setting Up a Home Office walks you through how to calculate the deduction and what expenses to include.

The market value of the stock at the time you receive would be considered your income.  This is known as Equity Based Compensation.  If you're considered an employee the information you need to complete your return will be included on Form W-2.  If you're considered an independent contractor than you should receive Form 1099-NEC.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies