Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello, I wanted to now how to update my dependents

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DJS
Alumni
Alumni

Hello, I wanted to now how to update my dependents

The question is unclear. Each year, when you complete your tax return, you'll report the number and type of your dependents. However, perhaps you're referring to the number of dependent you include on your withholding form, the W4. 

• When you have life changes:
    • Lifestyle - Marriage, divorce, birth or adoption of a child, home purchase, retirement, filing chapter 11 bankruptcy
    • Wage income - You or your spouse start or stop working or start or stop a second job
    • Taxable income not subject to withholding - Interest income, dividends, capital gains, self employment income, IRA (including certain Roth IRA) distributions
    • Adjustments to income - IRA deduction, student loan interest deduction, alimony expense
    • Itemized deductions or tax credits - Medical expenses, taxes, interest expense, gifts to charity, dependent care expenses, education credit, child tax credit, earned income credit

Change Your Withholding

To change your tax withholding, use the results from the Withholding Estimator to determine if you should: (https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-withholding-estimator)

Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.
**If this post is helpful please click on "thumbs up"**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies