Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1099-NEC e-file issue

Getting "Form 1099-NEX worksheet: Payer's federal EIN is invalid for electronic filing. You must have a valid employer identification number ...

This is an employer issued 1099-NEC, previous years got 1099-MISC with the identical TIN and never had an issue.

Read another post that this might be between Turbotax and IRS???

If so, why is this still not resolved today, 4/11/21???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

Recommendation is to delete the Form 1099-NEC and re-add it.  The EIN should be valid.

Thanks for your response, I have actually tried that but didn't work :(

I actually went and deleted the actual form, and then re-added the information in the Easy view - should I do that differently?

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

No, that also should work.  It may be a data issue. 

You may be able to include the income without including the actual 1099-NEC?  The 1099-NEC is an information return it is not required to be filed with your return. 

As long as the income is included in your Schedule C you are not required to file the actual 1099-NEC. 

Removing the form will prevent you having to print and mail your tax return.

Thanks you for being so helpful.

Problem when removing 1099NEC in the forms view, the income disappears from Schedule C. Any suggestion or is there another way?

Also, when I enter the EIN (xx-xxxxxxx) in the SSN format (xxx-xx-xxxx) it seems to work ok? Does that have another implications?

Entering the EIN in the SS format will not affect your return.  If that is working and accepting your information and carrying it to the Schedule C, then that is the best way to complete your return.

IRS Form 1099-NEC

@joachimz

really appreciate your response, unfortunately, when choosing the SSN format, it does NOT carry the amount from 1099-NEC into Schedule C. However, the amount owed/refund in easy view is the same as when using the other EIN format.

It seems Intuit is not on top of things the year :(

As a next step I will probably create  brand new return from scratch and see what happens

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You have to choose the format of the issuer's taxpayer ID as either SSN format or EIN format.   Search for 1099-NEC to be taken to a list of forms you have entered.   You can delete what you have entered there (or edit the form listed).   Choose the correct format and then you will asked to link the 1099-NEC to a Schedule C.   Also, do a search for 1099-MISC and delete the 1099-MISC form that was transferred from last year.   Since they changed forms this year, you need to remove the old form and enter and link the new form to the Schedule C.  

Answer No to the 'uncommon situations' questions and Yes to the 'expenses to deduct' question.   The next screen will allow you to link the 1099-NEC to either a Schedule C you already have or allow you to create a new Schedule C.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies