Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign tax credit for past years not used, Form 1116

I was reviewing my mother's past returns and I noticed that for years 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 that she had foreign taxes paid by mutual funds but was not able to use the foreign tax credit since for those years she owed zero tax because of very large medical expenses which reduced her taxable income to zero.  In 2015 she did owe federal taxes and was able to include the foreign taxes paid by her mutual funds in 2015 as a foreign tax credit for that year but she failed to use the previous years (2011-2014) foreign taxes as a credit.  She has not filed her 2016 or later returns yet.  How can she use the 2011-2014 credit for foreign taxes paid?  Can she claim those on her 2016 return and how?  Does she need to file the 1116 form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

She can file her 2016 taxes and include a Form 1116 with the ftc carryforward from her prior year tax returns.  If for some reason  the IRS ever had a question about the carryforward, you have the prior returns as backup.

To file a return for a prior tax year 

If you need to prepare a return for 2016, 2017, or 2018 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s) 

File your 2018 , 2017 and 2016 Taxes   

Remember to prepare your state return as well—if you live in a state that has a state income tax. 

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return. 

Note:  The desktop software you need to prepare the prior year return must be installed/downloaded to a full PC or Mac.  It cannot be used on a mobile device. 

If you are getting a refund, there is not a penalty for filing past the deadline.  If you owe taxes, the interest/penalties will be calculated by the IRS based on how much you owe and when they receive your return and payment. The IRS will bill you for this; it will not be calculated by TurboTax. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I neglected to claim a credit for foreign taxes paid for previous years when I did not use TurboTax to do my taxes.  I think I can claim these by using the Form 1116, but I'm not sure how to complete this.  All my foreign taxes paid were from dividends from mutual funds.  I tried using TT and for each year it asks for foreign tax paid, amount disallowed and amount utilized each year, but it always shows that the carryover amount over as zero for each year.  I input the exact same amounts for AMT (not sure if that is correct).  How am I able to claim a credit for foreign taxes paid?  

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

In those past years program, you would enter information by following these steps:

In the desktop, 

• Open up your TurboTax account and select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "foreign tax credit" and Enter
  • Select Jump to foreign tax credit
  • Follow prompts to enter the foreign taxes being paid in that year

@rtaxc

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies