Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing taxes from outside the US for the first time

Hello everyone

I am a US citizen, i live and work abroad with my non-US citizen husband.  I am trying to file my taxes for the first time. I tried to file through TurboTax, i reached the step where i have to input my husband's info, but the problem is that he does not have SSN nor ITIN, as we never lived in the US before, I do not know what to do? 

I also have bank accounts in the foreign country, how to report that also?

I appreciate your kind support.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

As your spouse is a nonresident, to file jointly, you would need to make an election to claim him as a resident.  TurboTax does not provide any tools or forms to assist you to make the election, unfortunately.  You would need to follow IRS's instructions to attach the statement to your 2020 tax return.  You cannot e-file.  Instead, print out all your tax forms along with the statement and paper-file.  Click here to see Nonresident to resident

If your spouse did not have SSN or ITIN, you would need to apply for an ITIN for him. To do so, you must file a Form W-7 along with filing your tax return.  Without an SSN or ITIN, you won't be able to e-file either.  

To prepare your tax return in the program, here are the steps: 

• In the program, as you enter the information, leave the SSN space blank
  • After entering all your information, print out returns and required forms ( write APPLIED in the spouse's space) 
  • As TurboTax does not support the Form W-7, fill out the forms by following
  •  https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/General-ITIN-Information and attach to other required  documentation
  • Submit both the Form W-7 and your tax forms to IRS Austin location in Texas.  ( see Form W-7 instructions)

As far as your foreign account, if you collected interest in the account and met certain requirements, you would need to file a Form 8938.  Here are the steps:

In TurboTax online,

• Sign in to your TurboTax account and select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "foreign assets" and Enter
  • Select Jump to foreign assets
  • Follow prompts
  • On-screen, Amounts Related to Foreign Financial Assets, enter information

A Form 8938 is used when you have specified foreign financial assets and the total value of all the foreign assets in which you have an interest is more than the appropriate reporting threshold.  For details, click here: https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8938

As you have earned foreign income, you might qualify for a foreign income exclusion.  If you did not receive any US tax documents like a W-2 or 1099, follow these steps to enter information:

• After sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "foreign income" and Enter 
  • Select Jump to foreign income 
  • Follow prompts

After you enter the information, if you qualify for a foreign earned income exclusion, the program will prompt you to fill out a Form 2555 Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.  To qualify, you have to live outside the United States for at least 330 days during 12 consecutive months.  For more information, please see Foreign income and exclusion and Extension

If you have paid taxes to both foreign and the US tax authorities, the IRS allows you to claim a foreign tax credit on your US tax return.  To claim this foreign tax credit, you would need to file a Form 1116 Foreign Tax Credit. 

Here are the steps: 

• At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "foreign tax credit" and Enter
  • Select Jump to foreign tax credit
  • Follow prompts

For example, if you made $110,000 overseas, you can use the exclusion Form 2555 to exclude up to $107,600, then apply the foreign tax credit on the difference (110,000-107,600).  Or you can use foreign tax credit on the whole amount, whichever benefits you the most.  However, you cannot use both benefits ( double-dip) on the same amount.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I really appreciate it

@LinaJ2020 

Hello again

I need your help again please

I reached to the IRS website regarding " Election to file joint return", and I understood that i have to attach a statement that should contain:

"1. A declaration that one spouse was a nonresident alien and the other spouse a U.S. citizen or resident alien on the last day of the tax year, and that you choose to be treated as U.S. residents for the entire tax year

2. The name, address, and identification number of each spouse. (If one spouse died, include the name and address of the person making the choice for the deceased spouse.)"

Do you have a sample of such statement ! It would be really helpful.

In the Form W-7, Can I write my friend address in the US, where I want the ITIN be delivered? as I don't have a current US address right now. If it is not possible, can i leave it blank, and just write my address in Egypt under "foreign address"?

I am really confused, and i don't know what to do.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I am attaching a link for your reference: Election sample

If you are referring to the mailing and foreign address on line 2 and  3, enter your foreign address in Egypt.  You do not need a US address.   See attached instruction here: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf  (  page 10 under line 2 and 3)

@LinaJ2020 

Thank you very much for your support

I have 2 more question, if you have time

1. Regarding the Form W-7 of my husband , in line 6d, as he will be submitting a copy of his passport as a proof of identity, can i leave the "date of entry into the united states" blank? as my husband is with me in Egypt, he has only been to the US for business on a B1/B2 visa two years ago, and never been there for work or so?

2. Is a copy of his passport enough as a proof of identity ? does he have to provide other documents?

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help and support

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

1.  You should still enter his last date of entry to the US while on the B visa.  See Instructions for Form W-7 (Rev. September 2020) (irs.gov)  page 10 line 6d.

2. He would need either an original copy or a certified copy of his passport.  For details, see Instructions for Form W-7 (Rev. September 2020) (irs.gov)  page 3. 

Thank you very much for your prompt reply @LinaJ2020 

I appreciate your help

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies