turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

georgewwv

Filing my son's taxes he gets the following error message: We could not e-file your return: Duplicate Social Security Number How can I resolve this issue for him?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Filing my son's taxes he gets the following error message: We could not e-file your return: Duplicate Social Security Number How can I resolve this issue for him?

Did you claim him as a dependent on your return? If so, his return must indicate he could be claimed as a dependent on another return.

georgewwv

When asked "can someone else claim you as a dependant" he answered yes. I have not submitted my taxes for this year yet. 

Anythoughts?

Unfortunately, you'll apparently have to file by mail - and (probably) include Form 14039. See https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/taxpayer-guide-to-identity-theft 

georgewwv

Thank you.

Have a great day.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies