Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filed 2019 using online. Using desktop edition for 2020. Need to import 2019 from online edition

Filed 2019 using Turbotax online. Using Turbotax Premier desktop for 2020. Need to import .tax2019 from Turbotax online.  I am only given the option to download .PDF not the tax file.  I either need to have desktop Turbotax search online or download the .tax file onto my PC.  Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Filed 2019 using online. Using desktop edition for 2020. Need to import 2019 from online edition

You need to use the TurboTax online version and start your 2020 income tax return. Once your information has been transfered, you can not save your 2020 .tax file to your computer and open it using your 2020 CD/Download version.

To use the TurboTax CD\Download software to continue your 2020 return:

1. Sign in and open or continue your return.
  2. Select Tax Tools and then Tools from the left menu.
  3. In the Tools Center pop-up, select Save your 2020 return to your computer.
  4. The file will download with the name taxReturn.tax2020.
  5. (Optional) Locate the downloaded file and change the default filename to something more recognizable, for example JohnDoeTaxReturn.tax2020 (just make sure you don't change the filename extension to the right of the dot).

Your online return is now saved in a format can be opened in the TurboTax software.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks so much for your reply.  Not sure if I explained the situation correctly.  I used the online version to file my 2019 return.  I have started my 2020 return using the desktop version.  I need the 2019 tax file (not pdf) from online so I can complete the 2020 desktop.  Turbotax desktop can't find the 2019 return because I did it online.  I don't want to enter the information manually.

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies