Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Expired Product and Turbo Tax Cost of Goods sold calculation

I had some products go bad close to a grand of it... i understand that from my books point of view, that's simply a debit or increase in my cost of goods sold and a credit or decrease to my inventory. But how do I enter that into Turbo Tax? the calculation is beginning inventory plus purchases minus ending inventory is cost of goods sold. isn't there a way to further explain the rise in cost of goods sold?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Tax reporting of inventory shrinkage is exactly the same as book.  You will merely report your ending inventory without the $1,000 worth of expired products and let the cost of goods sold increase to cover the "loss".

@paul27 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If your products expired during the year 2022, their total affects your ending inventory number. So, enter your beginning inventory number as you would normally into TurboTax. The remaining TurboTax questions should mirror the IRS Schedule C Part III lines 36-41. Line 36 asks for any purchases less personal item costs. Line 37 asks for cost of labor, not including your own. Line 38 asks for Materials and Supplies. I would subtract the value of expired products from this number. Line 39 asks for any other costs. If you had expenses associated with removing expired products, list those expenses here. Line 40 is the total of lines 35 (Beginning Inventory) through line 39.  Line 41 asks for your Ending Inventory number.

Good answer but, is it the Turbo Tax answer? The thing is, we want to avoid an audit by doing everything as proper as possible. Is this actually where this goes? Or should it go elsewhere with an explanation? Again, i should be able to get an official answer from turbotax but here i am in the public forum!

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Tax reporting of inventory shrinkage is exactly the same as book.  You will merely report your ending inventory without the $1,000 worth of expired products and let the cost of goods sold increase to cover the "loss".

@paul27 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies