turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Entering cryptocurrency purchases/sales - I bought $662.11 USD worth of ETH in 2017, & another $1,057.53 in 2018 - sold all in 2020 - how do I specify 2 purchase dates?

Entering cryptocurrency purchases/sales - I bought $662.11 USD worth of ETH in 2017, & another $1,057.53 in 2018 - sold all in 2020 - how do I specify 2 purchase dates?

On the Wages & Income page for "Let's enter some info about your taxable transactions", which I got to via clicking Cryptocurrency somewhere, it looks like I can only enter combined purchase/sale for each asset, as opposed to one row for one purchase, another row for 2nd purchase (of same cryptocurrency), and 3rd row for 100% sale of it.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

The best way to handle your situation would be to report it as two separate transactions. 

One for the buy and sell of the ETH purchased in 2017 and one for the buy and sell of the ETH purchased in 2018.  You will need to separate your total sale proceeds into the two separate transactions in order to report it this way.  Knowing the price per ETH on the date of the sale you should be able to separate the information into two transactions based on the amount that was purchased each time.  

After you enter the details of the first transaction, click the blue + add another transaction link for the second one.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies