turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Employer HSA Contributions NOT on W-2

My employer made contributions to my HSA but they are not recorded on my W-2.  How do I enter this information?  I do have a Form 5498-SA reflecting these contributions.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

There is no Code W on your W-2 in Box 12?   If not, will they give you a corrected copy of the W-2?   Contributions made in excess of these annual limits may become taxable income to the employee.   While employer contributions to an HSA may be excluded from the employee's income, all employer contributions, including those made by the employee through a cafeteria plan, must be reported in box 12 of the employee's W-2.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I cannot get a corrected W-2.  What do I do?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Will your employer at least tell you if they removed the HSA contributions from Wages in boxes 1, 3, and 5?

If they did, then the way you deal with this is to go back into the HSA interview, proceed to the screen, "Did your employer tell you about any other contributions?" Ignore the comment about "previous year" and check YES.

This will bring up three new lines. The bottom line is "Employer and payroll contribution not reported in box 12 of your W-2." Enter the amount of HSA contributions here.

If your employer did not remove the HSA contributions from Wages in boxes 1, 3, and 5, then start the HSA interview over again and proceed to the screen, "Let's enter [name] HSA contributions", and enter your contributions on the second line: "Any contributions you personally made" - ignore the comment about "not through your employer", because your employer made a mistake.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This was extremely helpful and the advice earlier will allow me to work with employer going forward.

THANK YOU!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies