Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Effective tax rate

As a fellow user and not a TurboTax insider, I suspect TurboTax uses some less-common proprietary method  that doesn't follow the simple conventional definition.   When you read through this entire thread, you can see others debating it above.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Effective tax rate

Your “effective tax rate” is the average percentage of your taxable income that you owe in federal taxes. @mhotalin 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Effective tax rate

So the effect tax rate is Total tax/ Taxable income, correct?  But, On Tubor tax statement, page 1 of the Federal tax return summary, the result total tax / taxable income is different than the Effective tax rate provided. the calculated Effect tax rate (Total tax/ Taxable income) is way bigger than the Effective tax rate provided. Why does turbo tax provide a different (smaller) effect tax rate on the statement? 

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Effective tax rate

As your earnings increase throughout the year, you generally move from one tax bracket to the next as your income grows.  

Your marginal tax rate is the highest tax bracket that you are taxed in as your income grows throughout the year.

The actual percentage of your total income at the end of the year that gets paid to the IRS as taxes is generally different, and is usually referred to as your effective tax rate. 

The rate you pay on the last earnings you make, which is your highest marginal tax rate or top marginal rate, is usually much higher than your effective tax rate.

There are many different tax numbers, brackets and rates used for many different applications for a multitude of reasons.  It's easy to confuse them. Make sure you are comparing the same rates from year to year.

You can reduce your taxable income using your standard deduction or by itemizing deductions.

You can reduce the tax you owe if you qualify for credits, including the Child and Dependent Care Credit, education tax credits, and adoption tax credit. These credits reduce the taxes you owe dollar for dollar.

Click here for additional information on tax brackets.

Click here for information on lowering your effective tax rate.

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Effective tax rate

You should click on page 1 at the bottom of this discussion and review all the posts from March and April 2023.  Back then, a turbotax customer service rep told me that they divided Total Tax  by AGI (adjusted gross income) instead instead of Taxable Income  to calculate the effective rate.  That didn't make sense to me because the IRS Tax Computation Worksheet  (1040 Instructions, Pg 77) uses Line 15, Taxable Income, not AGI.  I tried using AGI  on figures from my past 5 years returns, and that calculated pretty close to what turbotax was showing (exactly the same in some years).   Turbotax should be using Taxable Income in the effective tax rate calculation, the way the IRS does. 

Effective tax rate

Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies