Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

E-file rejected due to ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt on Form 1116

Yes, it will work (apparently) if you do not have a simplified AMT Form 1116 as well. It seems that everyone with a simplified AMT Form 1116 is getting their return rejected by the IRS. 

@MaryM428, I think @olsonep summarized the issue really well a few comments back:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-e-file-rejected-due-to-foreigntaxespaidoraccru...

I'm running into the first cause, where the field is blank (mine doesn't say "various" anywhere).  

Any ETA on the fix?  

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

The issue has been submitted and is currently under investigation.  If you would like to receive an update for the progress, click on the following link to get notified:

Form 1116 reject error

If you have paid taxes to both foreign and the US tax authorities, the IRS allows you to claim a foreign tax credit on your US tax return.  To claim this foreign tax credit, you would need to file a Form 1116 Foreign Tax Credit.  The amount will show on Schedule 3 line 1 and line 20 on Form 1040.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
KP96
Level 2

Hi all - 

I am encountered the same efile rejection and does seem to be a TT bug this year.

My salary is 100% foreign and been filing Form 1116 for last 10 years and efiling with TT with no issues.

So surprised to see this issue.

I have reviewed with TT CPA and asked for further escalation.  On the TT community there is quite a bit of cases right now with over 2000 replies.

Hopefully it gets resolved soon before efile deadline.

KP96
Level 2

Hi all - 

Some further information on side for this issue.   My issue is consistent with many below.

100% foreign salary, filing Form 1116 for foreign taxes paid, and getting an efile reject.  

First time in 10 years having this issue and have reviewed everything in detail with a TT CPA and form is in good order.   Re-submitted multiple times and same error.

I also called the IRS and the confirmed they are NOT getting an efile transmission from TurboTax. 

Then called a TT representative and they did confirm that its internal TT issue and efile submissions are not being sent to IRS.      

Hopefully this gets resolved soon before efile deadline in April.  

Just re-iterating what worked for me

1. Wipe out Form 1166, i.e. delete all forms 1166 and 1166AMT manually from  return
  2. Go to interview: select simplified AMT method
  3. Manually change the date on Form 1166 part 2 column 1, and  Form 1166 AMT, part 2, column 1 to 12/30/2020
  4. Submit

So it's possible to get a return through with the simplified AMT method.

I don't know why this worked: It's entirely possible that the date change from 12/31/2020 to 12/30/2020 is a red herring.  There may be a random factor to this, so you may have to just try once a day and see what happens.

Please submit another issue for AMT Form 1116.  There is a bug when using the Simplified Method for this form.

Thanks for posting - sadly, just tried this step by step and it got auto-rejected again 5 minutes after submission :(

Definitely still a problem. 

3/16/21 just another reject due to 1116.  All foreign income from Vanguard Mutual Funds.  Same as many previous years.  No error marked by TurboTax or found going through all the entries, again.

I am experiencing the same e-file rejection.  I would like to talk to someone at TT, but I cannot seem to find a way to contact them.

This has worked for some users: Their date was entered as various or as 12/31/20 and changing it to 12/31/2020 has allowed them to file.

TurboTax is investigating this issue with Form 1116

Here is a link to get information and updates

Agreed! I just tried manually changing the date from 12/31/2020 to 12/30/2020 in Form 1116, and tried to re-submit my tax return, and it got rejected once again. The problem still persists after I installed the recent updates (March 11 updates).

My situation is exactly like gg1961 said: "This problem happens if you are submitting a "correct" 1116 form, need to have an AMT form, and are using the simplified method for AMT calculation."

TurboTax, please find a fix soon! I am waiting for your team to come up with a hot fix soon!!!!

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

The issue has been submitted and is currently under investigation.  If you would like to receive an update for the progress, click on the following link to get notified:

Form 1116 reject error

If you have paid taxes to both foreign and the US tax authorities, the IRS allows you to claim a foreign tax credit on your US tax return.  To claim this foreign tax credit, you would need to file a Form 1116 Foreign Tax Credit.  The amount will show on Schedule 3 line 1 and line 20 on Form 1040. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

There is a way to fix this error on Turbo Tax actually this issue seems to be on IRS site .  Don't use Simplified AMT option

Issue 

Issue.png

Same issue for me.  Never had an issue with Form 1116 before and I have now been rejected 3 times by IRS.  Intuit / Turbotax, please fix ASAP.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies