Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Level 2

DOUBT

hi, good night.

question.

i am filling my jointly tax retuns. i have a dependent, my daughter who is a 18 years old and she is a full-time student and lives with us.

my ajust gross income is 43,603.00

my daughter earned $1,000 during the year. Except for $1,000, i provided all of the support for her. i provided all of the costs to maintain the family home

i'd like to know if  can I claim the child tax credit AND earned tax credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

DOUBT

If your daughter was a full time student for any one semester that started in the tax year, her earnings do not matter. She could earn a million dollars and still qualify as your dependent. Additionally, there is no requirement for you the parent to provide her any support. Not one single penny. The support requirement is on the student, and only the student. The only possible way she can provide more than half of her own support is with earned income that was earned in the same year of that support, or with borrowed money where your daughter is the primary borrower on the loan. Even then depending on the amount of 3rd party support she received (scholarships, grants, 529 funds, etc.) she still may not be able to claim she provided more than half of her support, even if she earned a million dollars.

Level 2

DOUBT

Thank you very much.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies