Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Doing 2019 taxes, used Turbo Tax in 2018, paid estimated taxes. There is a number showing up in 'Income Taxes Paid' Which I think is also in Estimated Tax Payments.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Doing 2019 taxes, used Turbo Tax in 2018, paid estimated taxes. There is a number showing up in 'Income Taxes Paid' Which I think is also in Estimated Tax Payments.

There is a number showing up in 'Income Taxes Paid' Which I think is also in Estimated Tax Payments.  Correct ... they will be included in the summary of that section ...

Did you review that section of the program to confirm the payments you actually made vs the ones estimated in last year's program yet ?   If not do so now... 

Where do I enter my estimated tax payments?

If you made estimated tax payments in 2019 towards your federal, state, or local taxes, enter them in the Estimated and Other Income Taxes Paid section.

1. With your return open, search for the term estimated tax payments.
  2. Select the Jump to link.
  3. Choose Start next to the type of estimated tax payment you'd like to enter.
  4. Enter the amount of estimated tax you paid at each of the quarterly due dates.
    • If you paid 2018 estimated taxes in 2019, you'll enter just one amount for each state of locality.
JulieC14
Expert Alumni

The "Income Taxes Paid" amount will include tax payments entered from all sources within TurboTax.  Therefore, if tax payments were entered on a W-2 form or if taxes were entered as Estimated Tax payments, they both will be included in the taxes paid amount.  But, the estimated tax payments amount will also be displayed as Estimated Tax amount on your screen as well.

To double check if your estimated tax payments are already loaded into your 2019 tax data, take the following steps in TurboTax Online:

From within your Federal return in TurboTax, select the Deductions & Credits tab at the top of the screen.  

Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid.  Select "show more" and then select to START the Estimated Tax Payments section of TurboTax.  

If you are using a download/CD version of TurboTax, you can look at your 1040 form through FORMS mode to see what amount is actually reported on your return.  To switch to FORMS mode, take the following steps:

• Open your return and click the Forms icon in the upper-right corner of your screen (or choose Forms from the View menu at top).
  • The 1040 Worksheet will display and all the forms in your return will be listed on the left side. Simply select a form to open it.
  • To switch back to the interview, click the Step-by-Step icon in the upper right corner, or choose it from the View menu.

If you are using TurboTax Online, you can also Preview your 1040 form to see the amount that will be reported on your tax return for taxes paid.  

Here is how to preview your 1040 form in TurboTax online:

1. Select Tax Tools in the black column on the left hand side of screen. 
  2. Then select Tools
  3. Click on View Tax Summary -- this will give you information as to what is flowing where on your return. 
  4. Plus, from the Tax Summary view, you can select Preview My 1040 in the black column on the left.  This will show you your 1040 form as it currently stands. 
  5. To go back to your return, select Back from the left hand column.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

the only amounts that should show up in 2019 estimated taxes are those paid for 2019 and any overpayment from 2018 applied to 2019.  this would be on line 21 of 2018 return

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies