Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dan9

TurboTax 2018 Crashes When Creating New Return

I just installed and updated TurboTax Home & Business 2018, running on a Windows 7 machine, and it crashes 100% of the time when I try to create a new return. If I opt to create the return from the File menu, it will show a popup with code (see attachment); otherwise, it just hard crashes and disappears.

On a lark, I tried creating new returns in my still-installed copies of 2015, 2016, and 2017 (without updating any of them since I last used them) and they all crash at the same spot, though they each throw different error numbers.

I went into Control Panel, tried to repair TurboTax 2018, and got an error there as well (see attached image).

ARGH, the forum software thinks my error codes are account numbers and won't let me post them. See the attached txt file for the codes.

Anybody know what's up? Is this just something on the server side that's busted?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
dan9

No, I have no AV software installed. However, the error 1334 on the installation repair offered a clue. I had to run the software as an administrator for it to work. The shortcut properties had the regular "Run as Administrator" option greyed out, so I had to enable the one in the Compatibility tab.

So far, so good.

Do you have anti viral software installed?  I had to disable webroot and a few other popular packages because they blocked Turbo Tax.  Hope that helps.
maxjet38
Returning Member

Please, has anyone found a solution to this? TT2018 crashes at random points. Disabling anti-virus (with exclusions) was no help. 

JPRacer

Hello MaxJet38,

I have figured out a solution, and it is relatively easy.  I established that the update was mostly the cause as I really started crashing all the time after installing the update.  I am running Windows 7, fyi.  The fix I found (which appeared to be super stable and has not crashed since and I have been moving around very quickly to try crash it) after installing both the software and the update, right click on the icon that is created and choose Properties option.  On the Compatibility tab check the Run This Program in Compatibility Mode for: and choose Windows XP (Service Pack 3) from the drop down.  This was actually my first pick to fix it so I have not tried any of the other settings since it was fixed.  My thought in choosing this was that Windows XP SP3 was a fairly stable version.  The other change is in the  Privilege Level area, check the Run This Program as Administrator checkbox.  Click OK to save the changes.  I would recommend doing a full restart before starting TTX again.  I hope this helps.  Let me know if you experience anything different or have another fix.  Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies