turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

becs7991

Do I need to pay US tax if I am a non-US citizen living outside of the US, but have foreign (non-US) income being deposited into a US bank account?

It's a little complicated, but basically I have a US bank account as I was an international student in the US from 2016-2020. I have not been living in the US since March 2020 and have for the past year or so been working freelance/consultant for a non-US company. However, I have been receiving the income from this job as USD which I have been receiving through my US bank account.  Do I need to file and pay US tax on this income, or just pay tax in the country I am currently residing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Do I need to pay US tax if I am a non-US citizen living outside of the US, but have foreign (non-US) income being deposited into a US bank account?

I am not sure if this is the correct answer but if your US bank has one of those 1099 type of forms, you should prob check that if it’s in 1099-DIV or 1099-INT & if that’s up to a certain amt of interest you may have to pay tax on it.  Check your bank under TAX DOCUMENTS.

I am not sure about the rest of your answer tho, you may still have to pay USA taxes…but…hopefully someone smarter comes along & answers this.  GL.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies