Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rick991
Returning Member

Re: Deduction of Start Up Fees on Rental Property

The startup costs aren't deductible because a rental activity is a passive activity and thus does not qualify as a trade or business'

However, I would think that if the rental property qualifies as a trade or business under Section 199A that it should qualify as a trade or business for the purpose of deducting start-up costs.

Any Thoughts

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Section 195: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/195

(A) the taxpayer shall be allowed a deduction for the taxable year in which the active trade or business begins

As an active real estate investor for the past twenty years or so, this question does pique my interest.  What start up costs are you speaking of?  True incorporation & organizational costs, or capital improvements to the properties themselves – such as rehabilitation costs?

To bounce off a prior response: I would begin depreciation on the day the property became first available to be rented – the first day anyone could occupy it (regardless of being rented or not) which is your effective “Placed in service” date.

From https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rp-19-38.pdf, pg 2 of 11, to wit: Revenue Procedure 2019-38, Section 2, paragraph .02 states:

• 1.199A-1(b)(14) provides that rental or licensing of tangible or intangible property (rental activity) that does not rise to the level of a section 162 trade or business is nevertheless treated as a trade or business for purposes of section 199A, if the property is rented or licensed to a trade or business conducted by the individual or a relevant passthrough entity (RPE) which is commonly controlled under § 1.199A-4. Sections 1.199A-5(b) and 1.199A-5(d) define an SSTB and the trade or business of performing services as an employee, respectively.

Thus, my civilian friend, Section 199A classification of residential rental real estate is solely for the Section 199A itself and not to be considered ‘across the category’ treatment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies