Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Court Settlement - Election under Section 1033

We received payment from a court settlement related to destruction of our home by fire in 2017. Our CPA has advised that the portion of this settlement related to the real property (as opposed to emotional distress) can be excluded from taxable income via an election under Code Section 1033(a)(2) not to Recognize Gain from Compulsory or Involuntary Conversion, and he has provided us with a memorandum to that effect. I don't need any further advice on the tax issues, but my question is how to convey/include this information as part of our tax return, which I am preparing with TurboTax. Nothing seems to fit.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

If you didn't receive a form reporting the income, then you don't need to report it if it is not taxable. If you did receive a form, let us know what form you received and we can help your further.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks Thomas. I did not receive a form (nor do I expect to) but we are making an "election" (per Section 1033) about how to treat this money. CPA advised we should let the IRS know we're making this choice, but maybe not.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

OK, then what you should do is attach form 8275 Disclosure Statement to your return on which you disclose your position. You will have to mail your tax return in to do this.

Form 8275

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies