Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Change in marital status

I filed as joint with my spouse in 2022. They died in 2022 and I am not eligible to file jointly for 2023. I had information stored in TurboTax that carried forward about the basis of our investments. Can I still use my old file and upload it and then just change the marital status?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Change in marital status

I'm sorry for your loss. You can't file as a qualifying widower in 2023 since you don't have a dependent child who lived with you that year. I suggest you look at the personal information in your program and make sure you have deleted the entry for your child.

You can change the filing status on your current year return to single and keep the carryover amounts if you have ownership of the underlying investments.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
TomK2023
Expert Alumni

Change in marital status

If your spouse died in 2022, you didn't remarry in 2023, and you have a child that meets certain qualifications, you might be able to file as a Qualifying Surviving Spouse, which has certain tax advantages.

When you go through the Personal Info section in TurboTax, we'll determine if you meet those requirements.

Change in marital status

I don't think I qualify.  

My adult then 23-year old child moved out of our house in Sept 2022.
My spouse died Nov 2022. I have not remarried.
My child did not live with me at any time in 2023.
My child made more than the maximum $4,700 in 2023.

But, when I go through all the questions, TT marks the radial box that I qualify anyway. When I go back and look at my answers, it has changed 0-months to 6-months that my child lived with me, which isn't correct. So, I don't think I qualify.

Is there any other reason I might qualify? Or is this purely a bug in TT?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Change in marital status

I'm sorry for your loss. You can't file as a qualifying widower in 2023 since you don't have a dependent child who lived with you that year. I suggest you look at the personal information in your program and make sure you have deleted the entry for your child.

You can change the filing status on your current year return to single and keep the carryover amounts if you have ownership of the underlying investments.

Change in marital status

Thanks. I just talked to my child and am now certain they earned enough to be independent. So, I will do as you say and delete them from this year's return. Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies